Author Topic: Liverpool 3 Newcastle 0 - Saturday 8th March  (Read 1915 times)

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Liverpool 3 Newcastle 0 - Saturday 8th March
« on: March 08, 2008, 05:49:40 pm »
Keegan was very critical of his players after the game. He accused them of not having the courage to hold on to the ball and pass it. He thought the performance was poor and the players failed to win the respect of the Liverpool team.
After going behind to a freak goal as Enrique kicked his clearance against Pennant only for the ball to loop over Harper, Keegan was hoping to get the team in at half time still with a chance. However he accused his players of collapsing again as soon as a goal is conceded. Torres scored in the 45th minute then Gerrard put the game beyond doubt after only 51 minutes.
Liverpool were then able to take off Gerard and Torres to rest them for next Tuesday.
Martins came on for Duff after 58 minutes and showed why most Newcastle fans want him in the team as he seems to be the only potential match winner in the squad at the moment. He collected a throw in and from 40 yards out crashed a shot against the bar.
So another miserable afternoon but the relegation fight realistically starts next week away to Birmingham, lets just hope Keegan has got some fight into his players by then. 

:'(  :'(  :'(   

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Liverpool 3 Newcastle 0 - Saturday 8th March
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 09:23:32 am »
And some views from a friend who saw the game:

Despite not having any hopes of getting anything from the game the one I thing I won't tolerate is sitting through performances where application and quality are both lacking. And today was a prime example of that.

The link up play is missing so much that even moments of individual brilliance won't turn things around. The frustration at going behind to a freak goal was overshadowed by the fact that the goal was coming anyway. All the signs of previous games were evident: Can't keep hold of the football, can't pass the ball, Nicky Butt and his attempted 'World Cup' passes, shoddy looking defending, Alan Smith starting etc.

I'd like to single out Charles N'Zogbia on the basis that he seems to get a ton of praise. Maybe I'm alone, but I can't seem to see why he's worthy of any of it. Sure the guy is fantastically skillful, but that is combined with an inability to pass the ball. Set pieces were put out the park or against the first defender, crosses were played into areas where our lads had no chance of reaching the ball never mind turning it into the net and worse, he doesn't track his man back.

Of course he isn't the only underperforming player. Steven Taylor is still whining about a new contract with the club. On the evidence of not just today but the season as a whole, he should be shown the door. The club offered the lad a new deal at a price they felt was reasonable. Taylor obviously feels he is worth more but unfortunately he just isn't. Much like Michael Dawson at Spurs, I don't see us going a game without him making a mistake that could cost us a goal. I've not mentioned the name Bramble yet, but is there a huge difference?

I'm also starting to believe this rumour of Alan Smith having a contractual clause that ensures he plays when fit. For me, he'd never start before Martins. That statement is reenforced when you look at the attempts between Martins and Owen to link up. Granted there were few moments and nothing led to a goal but they did seem to be on the same page which is something Owen and Smith are clearly not.

I guess nothing changes.