Author Topic: Everton 3 Newcastle 1 - Sunday May 11th  (Read 3475 times)

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Everton 3 Newcastle 1 - Sunday May 11th
« on: May 10, 2008, 11:27:11 pm »
At last back to football again after a week of rubbish in the press.

Will be interested to see:
- who Keegan picks instead of Viduka
- what formation he goes with, he may go back to 4-4-2 with Owen and Martins up front for the first time together
- who will get Barton's place, probably N'Zogbia
- will he try some completely different formation, maybe 4-5-1
- after another gruelling week of negative headlines in the press, will the players do what Steven Taylor said and finish with a win to send the fans home happy for the summer.   
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 07:57:10 pm by trophy4toon »

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: Everton v Newcastle - Sunday May 11th
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 07:12:26 am »
Just getting ready to go out the door to the match at the moment. Here are a few quick pre match thoughts.

- I'd switch from the 4-3-3 as it just doesn't work without Viduka. It's nothing to do with any of his performances but the threat he poses just by standing in the middle of the park. Defenders know what he is all about and they have to drop off him a little in case he turns them. Smith doesn't really offer anything like that.

- I'd play Milner in the middle. Geremi hasn't be doing much of anything lately and leaving him on the bench won't do much harm. Letting N'Zogbia take over from Barton isn't a bad idea either.

- Not sure whether to play the 3 strikers or just the two. I'm tending towards the two at the moment.

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Everton 3 Newcastle 1 - Sunday May 11th
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 08:00:41 pm »
Well a disappointing end to a disappointing week to a disappointing season.

I hope Craig enjoyed his trip to Merseyside  ???  ???  ??? 

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 10:31:42 pm »
Well I've just watched the match on Sky First and there were some optimistic aspects to the match:
- it was chosen as the Sky Football First top match
- Lua Lua I thought looked very neat and tidy for a 17 year old and showed what an advantage having pace is for getting you out of trouble.
- N'Zogbia looked a much better player today, worked hard for the team and was a constant threat
- What a good match Steven Harper had
- Beye looks a very classy right full back

So maybe a few pints, a few signings and we'll be up for the Premier League title next season and putting an end to that trophy drought.   

Well you have to be optimistic when supporting Newcastle United  8)  8)

And here is Kevin's post match interview, sensible stuff, a clear target for next season of 5th place and nicely dodges the question at the end about the meeting with Mike Ashley earlier in the week:
http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid958992159/bctid1544597843

« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 10:51:58 pm by trophy4toon »

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 11:13:56 pm »
Apart from the match everything was enjoyable. Even the 10 hour round trip in the car went pretty quickly.

I was on the lower tier, right on the corner, pretty much next to the big screen that separated us from the home fans. Our lot were very vocal and we gave them plenty of stick throughout the game. An announcement that the Everton players would be returning to the pitch for a lap of honour only if supporters refrained from encroaching on the playing area was greeted with chants of "On the pitch" from our lads. They noticeably stepped up the police and steward line in front of the away support at the end of the game just to make sure nobody tried anything silly. Perhaps the best moment came after the final whistle as we exchanged applause with the players who opted to come over to the corner and give away their shits etc. As we were starting to make our way out the Everton fans who were all waiting for there players to reappear, looked towards our support and started applauding us. It wasn't just a handful either, whole sections of the stand on the other side of the screen were looking across applauding with their hands raised above their heads. I'm told that those on the other side were doing the same. Naturally we returned the gesture. It was one of those surreal moments of respect between two sets of fans that is so amazing to be apart of.

I met with Mike Ashley's 'heavy' before and after the game. I'm sure you all know the lad. He is the rather large built black gentleman that wears sunglasses and is often seen nearby Ashley in the crowd. Fantastic bloke and really seems to enjoy his football. Before the game he mentioned that Mike wasn't in the away end and was sitting in the posh seats for once, but he was still sitting in amongst us. Bumped into the lad again on the way out of the ground and we shook hands, discussed the game a bit and had a general banter as we made our way through the crowds.

Goodison itself is a horrible place and on approach it can easily be mistaken for some sort of factory from the wrong angles. ie the back of the main stand. Inside the stadium is very basic and I can understand why Everton are wanting to make the move to a new ground. I've got plenty of pictures of various parts of the ground to share that really show the difference in class between their facilities and our own. The pub before the game was worse. Little place just behind the main stand. Not sure when they last decorated if ever. No alcohol was being served inside the ground but top notch sausage rolls made up for it. A bit greasy but for 2.50 it was about a foot long. We need to start serving those at St James.

I'm not sure I want to comment too much on the match but seeing as it is a match review thread I guess I best post a few thoughts. I was able to see a little of what was going on down the far end of the pitch on the far away screen. The actual away seating was poor and even though we were standing throughout the match it was difficult at times to see what was happening because of the angle.

At the back I thought Taylor was dreadful and if ever there was a game that highlights why he shouldn't get a new contract then this was it. He can't defend the aerial ball into the box against a physical opponent and he struggles to deal with the one on one situation often choosing to back off and in doing so inviting the opposition to have a go at us. Truth be told, Taylor could be put at blame for all three goals with two poor attempts at headers and a foul in the box. Cacapa was just as bad. If I was to say he's off the pace it would probably be a compliment. He doesn't have the legs and will likely be out the door in the summer. The fullbacks did their usual good job, although they did suffer a little from having to link up with different players in front of them.

Damien Duff and Alan Smith went through another 90 minutes showing absolutely no reason why they should be at the club. Duff is incapable of beating anyone or putting a decent ball into the box. Almost like Geremi but he can't tackle so he really has no use. In the absence of Martins, Charles N'Zogbia looked like our only real outlet. Good little run to win the penalty, although I'd have loved to see him cap it off with a cool finish instead. I'd really like to hang onto Charlie over the summer as he is one of the few bright talents we have right now. Sadly his crossing ability let him down on several occasions but that's not much different to others in our squad.

Up top, Michael Owen struggled to get into the game and looked a bit lost without Viduka and Martins to play off. The lack of pace that Martins brings meant that Everton had no worries of us sneaking in behind their back line with a good ball over the top. Not that we had a man on the pitch capable of playing such a ball. Nicky Butt was having one of his off days where his World Cup passes were once again of the standard expected of League 2 at best. Andy Carroll has been a big topic of debate recently and for me he really failed to show anything to indicate that he can do the business. He actually strikes me as being rather similar to Shola Ameobi in the fact that he's looking to see what someone else will do for him more than trying to influence the game and make something happen for himself. He won a few headers and made a few of those chest passes that Jan Koller is famous for but other than that he never added anything to the attack. With Viduka out long term a new striker is a must.

Today's Gallery
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2097183&l=a29d7&id=37108339

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 04:59:39 pm »
Craig, 2 points I feel I must pick up on there which I thought but was waiting for your views having been there. I couldn't agree more on what you have said:

Steven Taylor
He seems to have a genuine problem picking up the flight of the ball in the air, the goal where it came off his head to Lescott, was shocking in that he had plenty time to take it and actually went towards it rather than back and ended up not reaching it. There were other examples where that happened as well.
His jockeying consists of standing square on to the man running at him with his arms out, just like the penalty. Rather than shepherd the forward away the forward has no option but to just run into him and geta free kick/penalty. Again a number of examples of that in this match.

Andy Carroll
My thoughts entirely, another Shola Ameobi, spent most of the match observing events around him and moaning to the referee. The cross from N'Zogbia that went across the 6 yard box as Carroll stood back on his heels looking on just about said it all. Keegan has been rght not to play him.

I did think that Lua Lua though definately merits first team exposure ahead of both Duff and Smith, something you could say Keegan has not got right this season.   

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 08:43:25 pm »
I never commented on LuaLua but he is another one that I think will struggle to make it at the top level. Not only is he physically small, he hasn't yet displayed a standout attribute that would put him in position to be near the first team. Doesn't seem to have a lot of pace, trickery or even a range of passes.

Taylor continues to show me that he is as thick as mince. Not only does he constantly misjudge headers but he does rather stupid things like trying to attack a ball which is at head height in the opposition penalty area with his feet. Whether he got the ball or not he was always going to give away a foul. The guy doesn't seem to apply logic to scenarios and if he wasn't playing up to the supporters so often then I reckon he'd already have been dubbed the next Bramble.