Author Topic: 31st Dec - Howard Webb gets MBE after unbelievable year  (Read 1623 times)

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
31st Dec - Howard Webb gets MBE after unbelievable year
« on: January 01, 2011, 03:29:00 pm »

Is there no end to the political skill of Howard Webb. His refereeing is average but he talks such a good game.

Listen to the interview on the link attached, he never puts a word wrong. 2 billion people watched him referee the World Cup Final he says !! Coalition Govt for him next then  ;D  ;D  ;D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/front_page/9328150.stm 

The MBE for Webb is the climax of a year in which he became the first man to referee both the World Cup final - in which he set a record of showing 14 yellow cards and a red - and the Champions League final.

The 39-year-old from Rotherham, who is on a five-year break from his job as a sergeant with South Yorkshire Police, took up refereeing in 1989.

He refereed his first international match in 2005 and was also in charge of the 2009 FA Cup final.

But the World Cup final in South Africa proved to be one of the most challenging games of his refereeing career.

Holland's strong-arm tactics against Spain led to the flurry of cards, with Everton's Dutch defender Johnny Heitinga sent off.

In August, Webb said he and assistants Darren Cann and Mike Mullarkey had been honoured to be chosen for the final, which was won by Spain 1-0, but disappointed at having to set an unwelcome record for cards.

But he described the MBE as a fantastic honour.

"It has been an unbelievable 12 months and this honour tops off an amazing 2010," he said.

"It will be a real treat to go to the Palace with my wife and family and it should be a marvellous occasion.

"I always say refereeing is about your team, and without the support and ability of my assistants Darren Cann and Mike Mullarkey I would not have been selected for the final.

"This honour is for them too and it would be lovely if they could be recognised in a similar way at some point in the future."