Author Topic: 19th May - It's all the referees fault, never the player  (Read 2028 times)

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
19th May - It's all the referees fault, never the player
« on: May 19, 2011, 09:38:02 pm »
Well I'm sitting here watching the League 1 play off semi final between Peterborough and MK Dons (one of my local teams !!)

It's what one would call a "competitive game"

Just pondering the illogical weirdness of football and the culture we have developed around the referee, players and crowd.

There is no doubt the players in this game are hyped up and every decision the referee gives is met with a possee of players around him shouting at him about his decision when it has gone against them.

Meanwhile the crowd roar at the referee every time he gives a marginal decision against the home side.

The constant recurring weirdness of it being:

Player A brutally fouls a fellow professional then screams at the ref in annoyance claiiming he got the ball when the foul is given

Player B races towards goal and as soon as an opponent comes within touching distance throws himself to the floor as if he has been poleaxed.

The referee then without any benefit of technology to help has to make a snap decision on whether or not it is a foul and all the players shout at him whilst the fans sing the usual "you don't know what you are doing".

Just wondered if any thought had ever been given to critising the players involved instead of the referee.

For instance player A gets condemned for an attrocious tackle on a fellow professional 

or player B gets condemned for diving.

Or we are just happy to criticise the referee for trying to work out who cheated and broke the rules first.

It's all a bit rubbish really. Whatever happened to playing a game by the rules, treating officials and opponents with respect and showing sportsmanship.

Football is just cheat, cheat, cheat and abuse the ref if you fail to con him.

Not a great role model to youngsters.

OK, rant over and my team MK Dons are stuck in League 1 for another year !!     

Offline Legzy

• View Profile
Re: 19th May - It's all the referees fault, never the player
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 09:57:04 pm »
Player A brutally fouls a fellow professional then screams at the ref in annoyance claiiming he got the ball when the foul is given
It's all a bit rubbish really. Whatever happened to playing a game by the rules, treating officials and opponents with respect and showing sportsmanship.
Football is just cheat, cheat, cheat and abuse the ref if you fail to con him.
With regards "Player A", I might be biased, but I blame Fergie. The way the whole of his team scum have behaved since..... forever, is a disgrace & points need to start being docked regularly.

With regards "Player B, in England.... I blame Spurs. They introduced Klinsmann & the floodgates were opened. I'm sure it would have happened anyway, it was going on everywhere else as default settings already... it would have come our way at some point, I just think he was the catalyst.