Author Topic: Sun 22nd May - Newcastle 3 West Brom 3  (Read 4950 times)

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Sun 22nd May - Newcastle 3 West Brom 3
« on: May 20, 2011, 10:18:23 pm »
I guess the big news here is that Pardew says he wants Shefti Kuqi to get a chance to soak up the St James Park atmosphere as a reward on his last game for the club.

I thought that meant he would be in the starting line up till I read that translated as 10 minutes on the pitch in the end. Well thats more than some of our youngsters have been given this season.

If we win it does mean we will guarantee finishing above Sunderland, so there is an incentive.

We do have a few players out injured:
Jonas Gutierrez, Hatem Ben Arfa, Dan Gosling, Danny Guthrie, Steve Harper, Tamas Kadar, Kevin Nolan, James Perch, Haris Vuckic, Mike Williamson

Also Cheick Tiote is not playing as he is ruining our Fair Play statistics and Sol Campbell seems to have gone off in a huff.

So if my maths is correct that is 12 of our first team squad not available !!

Team I think will be:
                       Krul
Simpson      Coloccini   Steve Taylor   Enrique
Ryan Taylor    Barton  Smith      Ferguson
              Ameobi     Lovenkrands 
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 11:07:08 pm by trophy4toon »

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Sun 22nd May - Newcastle 3 West Brom 3
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 11:08:24 pm »
I'm hearing that throwing away a 3 goal lead here cost us 3 million due to not making 9th place in the league.

Err, and we have only won 4 games since Christmas.

Not feeling too confident playing next season under Pardew to be honest.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 11:10:29 pm by trophy4toon »

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: Sun 22nd May - Newcastle 3 West Brom 3
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 09:53:10 am »
I feel Pardew was trying to prove a point when he removed Guthrie and added Smith. For once Guthrie was playing very well and it almost felt as if we had two Joey Barton's in the centre of the park. He was competitive and getting involved in the play. I think Pardew realised that he had to protect some of his own interests and that a one-off performance from Guthrie was suggesting too much that we have additional resources in supply. A swift change to Smith seemed like his way of indicating that we are very short in terms of numbers and quality and if we have to rely on such a weak squad next season then we are in trouble.

Ameobi once again embarrassed himself with a performance that can be summed up by calling it a non performance. Leon Best arrived on the park and within minutes he started trying to influence the game and do the leg work that Shola's application just doesn't give. Personally I can't understand why Ameobi was on the pitch in the first place. What better time to give Ranger 90 minutes to try and find a goal? No pressure, home match, relaxed atmosphere. Playing Shola we learned nothing.

Around half the stadium stayed for the applause at the end. Most of the players seemed to walk round with their kids. Ameobi appeared with his daughter (the fact he has kids concerns me) and kissed the badge a few times (also concerns me) as he came round. Tiote was present and got a massive ovation with a lot of Tiote chants. After the main group had passed Barton and Nolan appeared. Barton had a couple of kids in tow but I believe both belonged to Nolan who was limping round on crutches. Massive appreciation was shown to both who have in my opinion excelled this season. I didn't spot Sol Campbell though who I imagine either wasn't getting the appearance money required to show up for such an occasion or had slyly hidden himself amongst the pack.