Author Topic: Television  (Read 2592 times)

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
Television
« on: February 20, 2012, 04:36:32 pm »
This has been bothering me since Yohan Cabaye was retrospectively banned by the FA for three games over that nothing incident down at Brighton.

Since when has the TV been allowed to decide who gets banned and who does not? This whole incident was created by the commentator on ESPN constantly suggesting that there was something in the incident and the FA would have to look at it after the game. I can't understand how this permitted.

Surely if this is alright then it's fine to go back and change the scoreline after the match if a goal was scored from an offside position or a foul was commited in the build up? What's the difference? The TV is correcting the supposed mistake just the same so why not? Let's go back to the home game against Chelsea, send David Luis off and replay the match from that point with the score at 0-0.

It seems FIFA/UEFA or whoever else wants to have things both ways. The TV can be called upon to selectively ban players but cannot be used to make the right decisions either at the time or later? That's ludicrous.

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Television
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 10:44:13 pm »
Oh Craig, you touch a raw nerve with me !!!

The whole tackling fiasco is making the game a laughing stock. Referees seem incapable of deciding whether a tackle is dangerous or not. Tony Pullis looks like he is soon to have a heart attack if another of his players get sent off.

This has encouraged the players to become actors on a stage. The latest routine now of writhing on the ground waving to the Physio in the dugout when an opponent dives in then getting up 30 seconds later to carry on playing. All designed to get the referee to send off the opponent.

Players are now swan diving all over the pitch then looking to the referee to see if their dive has warranted a free kick and a card for the opponent.

Meanwhile in the penalty box for corners and throw ins it's ok to put your arms around a player, grab him in a bear hug, hold him down or just throw him to the ground as Shawcroft did yesterday against Crawley. Anything goes if it's in the penalty box.

If you grab a player on the half way line though, well thats a foul. In fact Stuart Attwell would send you off for denying a goal scoring opportunity.

Extending Attwell's logic around the fact if you have a clear path to goal no matter how far it is from the goal. Then you could easily extend that to your own penalty box if the player you fouled had no one directly between him and the opposition goal. The Stuart Attwell rule could result in players diving as soon as they see there is no one between them and the goal anywhere on the pitch.

Difficult to beat the Joey Barton sending off though for staring at an opponent.

Then the Balotelli retrospective sending off against Scott Parker similar to the Cabaye incedent when he stepped on him right in front of Howard Webb. Who decided that Balotelli did not do that accidently and that Howard Webb five yards away did not see it.

Sadly football has just fallen apart !!         
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 10:50:45 pm by trophy4toon »

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 10:53:38 pm »
In fact I have been thinking about what Graham Poll recently said whilst I have been watching some matches.

That some referees have just given up and just going through the motions as an easy way to earn 80k a year.

When you watch some of them refereeing you do wonder if that is true. 

Offline Legzy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 12:38:36 am »
some might argue that there are probably a few players who appear to just be going through the motions (& then there's Shola, who doesn't even bother to do that!) >:(

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 09:43:24 am »
I think my frustrations are more with the timing of things. I don't get how the television can be allowed to influence the game after it has taken place. How can a ban be issued after the game for a red card offence but the player be allowed to stay on the pitch and influence the outcome of the game? It's madness to me. It's like saying 'sorry, we didn't send that player off after 10 minutes and you lost 2-0 in what would probably have been a totally different game had we got the decision right'.

How in 2012 can you come out and admit to getting decisions wrong that influence results in a sport where every single result is vital due to the amounts of money involved? The only thing I can think of is that it allows biased decisions to be made in favour of certain clubs and players.