Author Topic: Sat 26th May - The Eurovision song contest  (Read 5833 times)

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Sat 26th May - The Eurovision song contest
« on: May 16, 2012, 01:08:54 am »
Well having seen 75 year old Englebert Humperdinck singing "Love will set you free" on Graham Norton last Friday I can safely say we won't be winning.

Contest is being held in Baku, Azerbaijan, following Azerbaijan's win in the 2011.

Listen to his entry here:

http://www.holymoly.com/music/video/hear-uks-2012-eurovision-song-engelbert-humperdinck62181 

Please release me ..................

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Sat 26th May - The Eurovision song contest
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 01:17:03 am »
Of course 75 year old Englebert is not the oldest contestant.

The Russian grannies average age is 75 and one of their singers is in her 80's  :D  :D

Folk group the "Buranovo Grannies" will compete in the Eurovision Song Contest, after winning a televised contest in Moscow to represent Russia.

The six grandmothers beat 24 other acts - including a duet between 2008 winner Dima Bilan and Tatu's Yulia Volkova - with song Party For Everybody.

Buranovskiye Babushki, from the Udmurt Republic, say they will use any cash raised to build a church in Buranovo.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17298225

Their song "Party for Everyone" has taken Russia by storm:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWcTOeDkrzU 

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 01:19:35 am »
DuraKan is the expert on this, maybe he can give us a form guide  ???  ???
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 05:54:20 am by trophy4toon »

Offline Darkside

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 11:50:33 am »
I think Englebert might score a hatrick with the Russian grannies !

Offline DuraKaN

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 01:49:06 am »
Ah, it feels like only yesterday that the doors closed on the Düsseldorf Arena, but in less than a week Baku will host the 2012 Eurovision Song Contest, thanks to Ell and Nikki's rather insipid win for Azerbaijan last year. There is a hot favourite for this year's competition in the form of Sweden's Loreen, but quite often the favourite has failed to deliver the goods in recent years. Here's my run-down of this year's big acts:

Engelbert Humperdinck (UK)
I feel a bit sorry for Engelbert, because I think his chances of winning are remote at best. The bookies are predicting a fifth place finish and who knows, maybe he can do it, but a number of factors are working against him. First of all, although it's not a bad song, 'Love Will Set You Free' is rather downcast and low-key, which is not a style that has met with success in recent competitions. Amaury Vassili went into last year's competition as the firm favourite with his operatic 'Sognu', but on the night it turned out that France had got the tone completely wrong. The performance was flat and forgettable, and they ended up in 15th place. Engelbert has also drawn the short straw, in that he will be the first to perform - the early slots are generally considered disadvantageous, because by the time people get round to voting they're too drunk to remember them. Couple this with the usual problems faced by the UK entry - that we haven't got many neighbours, and the ones we do have don't like us very much - and you have a recipe for disaster. The final problem with Mr. Humperdinck is that he's really, really old. So are his fans. In fact, many of them are dead.

However, it's not all bad news. Engelbert Humperdinck has wide European appeal, and Blue showed last year that this alone can earn you a lot of votes, even if your song is rubbish, your performance is anxious, and you generally look like four men with nothing to gain and everything to lose. At least, if worst comes to worst, Engelbert will never look like more than one man (he's lost weight). He's also an experienced performer, and I am firmly expecting a strong showing from him - I just don't expect the song to catch the imagination. He may well make the top 10, but I think a top 5 finish is unlikely.

Buranovskiye Babushki (Russia)
A.k.a the Russian Grannies. They're definitely this year's favoured novelty act, and strong contenders for the Eurovision crown, but there is a growing feeling that they may have peaked too early. The grannies have been making headlines for months, and the fact is that their odds are drifting - they're not such a novelty any more. Additionally, let's not forget that 50% of the voting is done by juries consisting of music professionals. I don't know what their criteria are, but I'm not sure the grannies will score highly in many of them. However, Russia has a lot of friends, and because all old people are extremely wrinkly and look vaguely the same, most people have a granny that looks like one of THE grannies - empathy can be a real vote winner. So, I wouldn't write them off just yet.

Loreen (Sweden)
Loreen's song 'Euphoria' is the sort of energetic dance track that is likely to go down very well on the night, and is the strong favourite for good reason. Personally, I find it to be a little generic, and there are some really bizarre, jarring, kung fu-esque dance moves that simply distract from the song. The first time I watched the performance, there was a particular point where I thought she might be having a fit. But the winner of Eurovision often needs something a bit different, be it Lordi's monster rock in 2006, or Lena's unique inability to sing or dance in 2010, and Sweden might just have it this year.

Nina Zilli (Italy)
Predicted to finish second or third, depending on whose odds you look at. Quite a strong pop song with a bit of soul, and I could see this doing quite well if people are sick of Sweden and Russia by next Saturday. If she can deliver the strong, confident performance that the song requires, there is a good chance of an Italian victory this year.

Jedward (Ireland)
Finally, what discussion of this year's Eurovision Song Contest would be complete without the returning Irish entrant, Jedward? Not much has changed with the twins - they still can't sing, but it still doesn't matter. The bookies have them down in 10th/11th. I think they may just do a little better than that, but I don't think they'll be challenging the top 5. They're not bringing anything to this competition that they didn't bring last year, and they only managed 8th place in 2011. Last year, their hair was outdone by the Moldovan cone hats, but this year they could have the most distinctive headpieces.

So, who do I think will win? If I were a gambling man, my money would be on Italy, but the performance will have to be right.

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 12:35:09 am »
Engelbert Humperdinck is just too old and his song is rubbish.

I don't know what is going on, Roy Hodgson as england manager and now Engelbert Humperdinck singing for us in Eurovision.

What next can embarass us in europe  ???  ???

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 10:04:59 pm »
The semi finals are on bbc3 Tuesday night and Thursday night.
I assume engelbert won't have to compete in those ?

Offline Darkside

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 11:37:36 am »

What next can embarass us in europe  ???  ???

That would have been easy to answer, but Newcastle didn't qualify.

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 01:34:34 pm »
Here are all the songs and all the odds.
http://www.eurovisionodds.co.uk/united-kingdom

Despite being drawn as the very first performer to appear Engelbert is still 5th favourite.

Apparently Jedwood are performing well for Ireland and are a dark horse.

Outside bet for me is Bosnia and Herzovagina if only I could understand the lyrics.

So thats who I am going with. 

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 01:38:47 pm »
And here is the MayaSar rehearsal on the official site:

http://www.eurovision.tv/page/news?id=maya_sars_minimalistic_performance

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2012, 03:46:07 pm »
Azerbejan not bad, maybe I just like Ballads :

http://www.eurovisionodds.co.uk/azerbaijan

Offline DuraKaN

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2012, 06:36:30 pm »
Eurovision hasn't been won with a ballad for years!

The evening before the competition, odds Italy are drifting on Italy. They have a poor position in the running order (10th), so a win seems unlikely.

Meanwhile, Sweden have drawn 17th, which is not a bad placing, and according to the bookmakers, it looks as though they could walk it.

Serbia and Ireland have received some late support following strong semi-final showings, so watch out for those two!

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2012, 08:40:18 am »

So the Spanish singer Pastora Soler has been told not to win as Spain cannot afford to host the event next year. She is 14th in the betting, so not one of the favourites and the song sounds very average.
http://www.eurovisionodds.co.uk/spain

I've heard Greece have no such worries if they win it, we'll all be paying for that !!!

Pastora Soler, Spain's entry for the Eurovision Song Contest, has been asked not to win the competition because of the cost of putting the event on next year.

The singer was also sent the tongue-in-cheek message from Spanish broadcaster TVE saying 'Please, don't win!'.

[Related feature: Does anyone take Eurovision seriously?]
[Related feature: Eurovision's most memorable nul points entries]
[Related story: Engelbert Humperdinck 'backs Germans to win' Eurovision]

“I think it is not the moment, neither for Spain nor for Spanish public, to win Eurovision,” she said.

“If we won, I think it would be impossible to stage the next edition because it costs so much money.”

In the Eurovision rules, the winner of the event has to foot the bill of hosting the competition the following year.

The Spanish government has already had to slash its funding to broadcasting this year.

Pastora Soler will sing her track 'Quedate Conmigo' (meaning 'Stay With Me') at the competition in Azerbaijan at the weekend.

She goes up against the UK entry, Engelbert Humperdinck, in the finals in Baku. [BBC]

http://uk.tv.yahoo.com/-spanish-eurovision-entry-pastora-soler-%E2%80%98told-not-to-win%E2%80%99-%E2%80%93-daily-tv-round-up.html

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2012, 08:45:16 am »
Actually, I like the Greece entry and changing my prediction to that:

http://www.eurovisionodds.co.uk/greece

They are 15th in the betting

Offline Dolly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2012, 08:57:35 am »
For me Italy is the top song and top performer although they had to go and throw in a eurovisionish 'boom boom' here and there.  Nevertheless, despite boom booming and their poor placing in the running order, I'm going with my gut feeling here.  This is the approach I took to predicting the Newcastle scores and I ended up bottom of the league :).