Author Topic: Michael Shields - RIP  (Read 4856 times)

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Michael Shields - RIP
« on: August 24, 2012, 09:09:15 am »
It was terribly sad news that Michael passed away in the Freeman hospital on Wednesday morning and such a shock too as we were all hopeful of him making a full recovery.

Michael had been fighting a degenerative liver disease for some years but was hopeful of having a liver transplant and recovering his life back to normal, sadly this was not to be.

Michael always made light of his illness and never let it get in the way of his great sense of humour and the comedy acts which he so enjoyed doing.

He lightened up our forum with his cutting wit and also made a great assault on the predictions league last season despite coming in a bit after the start.

Also a well known and much loved figure in the town of Bellingham, the Bellingham Fun Run which he also organised will be difficult without him this coming Saturday.

Our thoughts go to James and Amy his young son and daughter and the rest of his family he leaves behind, he will be greatly missed by us all.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 09:48:04 am by trophy4toon »

Offline Slam Dunc

• View Profile
Re: Michael Shields - RIP
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 07:54:35 pm »
Thanks for that John.
We were up in Bellingham hoping to visit Michael in the freeman hospital but he had passed away that morning.
He was such a nice person and i  will always remember him for the time he gave my mum and dad in their old age.
 As John has mention earlier Michael ran a shop in Bellingham and was the focus of the village community.

I know he will be laughing at T4t now because T4t describes the fell run as a fun run, that was not wot you said when you finished last years race!!!!!

We are going to run as a team this year it will be called "Team Shields" in memory of micheal-his son James (Sod) is going to lead the charge up those hills the rest of us rubbish runners are bound to come last & no doubt Michael would have something witty to say about the geriatric part of the running team!!!!

Am sure his spirit will be up on those hills cheering us on.

Offline Slam Dunc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 09:34:34 pm »
31/8/2012
Sarah and i went up to Jarrow in Newcastle to say farewell to our good friend Michael Shields.
So sad to loose Michael at such an early age.

He was very keen on the outdoors and loved walking in the lake district in Cumbria. We also had the pleasure of a few walks with Michael on Hadrians Wall i seem to remember that it had to be a 14miler & nothing less!!

As we all know Michael made his name with us as the Darkside on trophy4toon. He had such a way with words and his observations of sport & nufc was always worth a read!!!

Michaels brother Martin read out some of the tales of their youth and the fact that Michael had been working on some new material for his little performances he did at comedy clubs now and then. He was going to use this material after he had had his liver transplant, sadly a donor could not be found in time.
Martin did have some notes that Michael had written down while he was in hospital. I close now with a couple of Michaels observations!!

Michael went on a school trip to Denmark many years ago. His dad had to fill ina health & safety form before hand:

Question 1 Can your child swim?
Dads reply "thought they were going by ferry"

Question 2 Has your child ever been abroad before?
Dads reply " Yes, we used to call him Mary"

« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 07:58:19 pm by Slam Dunc »

Offline Legzy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 05:11:53 pm »
Think we only got to enjoy Michael (Darkside) on here for 18 months, but what an entertaining period that was.
Always knowledgeable & always funny, I thoroughly enjoyed reading everything he wrote. As odd as it sounds on a Toon site, he'll be sadly & massively missed.
Best wishes to his family.

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 11:04:26 pm »
Thanks for a very good write up of Michael's funeral Ed and really sorry I could not get up there for it.

But when I saw this quote today it made me think of Michael, he would have found it funny if in fact he had not found it first:

''They all laughed when I said I wanted to be a comedian. Well they're not laughing now!''   :)  :)