Author Topic: Sat 29th Sept - Reading 2 Newcastle 2  (Read 1565 times)

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Sat 29th Sept - Reading 2 Newcastle 2
« on: September 28, 2012, 11:55:58 pm »
It would appear that Yohan Cabaye will not play due to some sort of problem in his mouth. Maybe someone has knocked his teeth out ?

Coloccini had a recurrence of his hamstring problem so he is also out.

Only two players have scored for us this season in the Premier League, Ben Arfa and Ba. Only QPR and Sunderland have fewer different scorers. So what you might say !

Wondered if Elliot might hold onto his place in goal instead of Harper after his Man United performance ? I think he will.

Likely team:
                    Elliot
Perch      Williamson   Stephen Taylor    Santon
Ben Arfa      Anita   Tiote        Gutierrez
                  Cisse   Ba
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 08:14:29 am by trophy4toon »

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Sat 29th Sept - Reading v Newcastle
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 08:14:07 am »
Another poor performance then and waiting for some comments from Legzy who was at the match.

I've been impressed by Shane Ferguson for a while now and often frustrated at not seeing him get more minutes on the pitch. After two good substitution appearances this week maybe that might change.

Could he be starting to put some pressure on Gutierrez for a position in the starting line up ?

Newcastle United (4-4-2): Steve Harper; James Perch, Mike Williamson, Steven Taylor (James Tavernier 56), Davide Santon; Hatem Ben Arfa, Gael Bigirimana (Shane Ferguson 69), Cheick Tiote, Jonas Gutierrez (c); Demba Ba, Papiss Cisse (Shola Ameobi 69)

Subs not used: Rob Elliot, Vurnon Anita, Gabriel Obertan, Sammy Ameobi,

Referee: Andre Marriner (West Midlands)

Bookings: Reading - none; Newcastle - Perch (44), Williamson (53), Gutierrez (73)

Attendance: 24,097 (2,076 Newcastle) 

Offline Legzy

• View Profile
Re: Sat 29th Sept - Reading 2 Newcastle 2
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 09:54:40 pm »
I made the short trip along the M4 from Swindon with a couple of my team mates from work, one a fellow Toon fan & the other a born & bread Reading man (who got the tickets, meaning we were sat with the home fans :o).

First half was poor, neither side wanting to risk conceding, though Reading were definitely on top the whole way through with a few wasted opportunities scrambles but don't recall a single actual shot on target(?). As always, I enjoyed the usual ditties of "shall we sing a song for you" & "<insert town's name> is a dump & I want to go home" ;D

Note that the half time facilities were appalling, quickly gave up hope of ever getting to the front of the beer & pie queues, not to mention the 10 mins to get through the gents queue ::)

Second half was better from the off, but again it felt like Reading had the upper hand. My Reading colleague who was not confident at all, started to relax a little as our front three would honestly have been more effective sat on the bench. So it was funny when Reading scored, then within 30 secs Tiote put through a class ball that as I'm sure you're aware Ba volleyed from over his shoulder (with style!). My Newcastle mate & I literally jumped out our seats & almost popped with excitement before rapidly remembering exactly where we were sat :-X.
Still, we didn't have to wait long before we could "celebrate" with the home fans as they deservedly took the lead again. It has to be said, that from that moment on, only one team was going to get the next goal & it wasn't Newcastle. Reading were all over us.

I'd like to point out that Ferguson came on @68mins & at that point, Newcastle had not put in one single cross all match. What the hell were Ben Arfa & Jonus doing??? Anyway, as Fergusson started to get involved, it was his/Newcastle's third cross that Ba nodded/guided in from close range. Which I managed to get a good picture of (Disclaimer: with my iPhone), that can be seen on Facebook.

Anyway, I'd say we were fortunate to get a draw, but doubt that either manager would have turned that result down before the game, I know I wouldn't have.

Offline Legzy

• View Profile
Re: Sat 29th Sept - Reading 2 Newcastle 2
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 10:26:55 pm »
Good Performances
Santon - MOM for me, decent enough in defence & only attacking threat till Ferguson helped him out.
(Ferguson - 70' ) - Quality, get this lad more time on the pitch.

Acceptable Performances
Bigirimana - Unlucky to be subbed off, but we were a goal down & so didn't need both him & Tiote covering.
Tiote - One classy assist & a decent bossy shift overall.
Harper - Unlucky to conceed two really, decent enough backup keeper but I'd rather have seen Elliot (or even better Krul)
Williamson - He's 3rd choice centreback, does an OK job, hoofs the ball & err...
Perch - Was doing a steady defencive job at right back, but had to replace Taylor in the middle as our 4th choice centreback.
S Taylor - Injured - No shock we conceeded after he'd left the pitch.
Ba - Scored two, but was anonymous all match apart from having a couple of hissy fits at Cisse I think.
(Sh Ameobi - 69' ) - Did well for Shola, won a free kick & looked half interested for a change.

Poor Performances
Ben Arfa - He was on the pitch? You're shitting me?
Gutierrez - Puts in a shift but offers nothing as a winger, needs to do a Nobby Solano & start playing fullback ASAP.
Cisse - See Ben Arfa, deservidly taken off.
(Tavernier 56' ) - To my reckoning, he must be our 6th choice right back (behind Santon / Simpson / R. Taylor / S. Taylor / Anita) & that's exactly how he played.