Author Topic: Pardew Contract until 2020  (Read 2207 times)

Offline Crico

• View Profile
Pardew Contract until 2020
« on: September 28, 2012, 03:58:13 am »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19747531

Can't agree with this. It reminds me of Bob Murray's statement that Peter Reid had a job for life over at Sunderland, and it increases the cost of sacking Pardew in the future for an owner that has refused to do the same to players that behaved horribly (Barton, Ranger) on the basis of finances.

We credit Pardew for a great season and backroom harmony is all good. But his main quality as a manager as I see it is his aggression (that's the same quality that embaresses us when he froths in Martin O Neill's face and pushes linesmen in the back by the way) and giving him an 8 yr (!) deal is a good way to make him comfortable.

I don't really know what to read into this. Perhaps it was reward for no negative press comments following the failure to bring in new blood in the transfer window? Has Ashley reached the position where he is happy with the existing business model - a manager competent enough to firmly secure our position in the EPL and a good chance of getting his money back via the unopposed sale of key assets somewhere down the line? Is there an anti-criticism clause in Pardew's contract?

Currently it would be wrong not to be satisfied with where we are at. But that shouldn't be replaced by complacency. I'm concerned by the fact that our owner seems permanently opposed to the idea of net outlays in transfer windows and that we have a manager that changes his tune according to prompts from the board.

I understand why the club is being run like a business, but as far as I can see that translates into a contempt for cup competitions (they aren't money spinners, incl Europa League, and the squad is too small to fight on multiple fronts) and a singular focus on the top seven in the league. That is good financial sense, but it doesn't give you much to be romantic about.

Offline Legzy

• View Profile
Re: Pardew Contract until 2020
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 11:03:44 am »
I'd have liked the board to have waited till at least the end of this season, prove last year wasn't a fluke first. I just don't feel he's earnt it yet.

Offline Slam Dunc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 08:15:56 pm »
Yep its a tough one this. There is no doubt that A P has got Nufc playing, how much further he can progress withthe toon not sure. He and his back room staff have bought cleverly over the last couple of seasons the turning point was the famous 4-4draw with Arsenal.
Which put him and the toon back on the map.
Time will tell.
Its about time we won the fa cup, now that would create a bit of interest! 2013 could be the year.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 08:17:42 pm by Slam Dunc »

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 10:45:41 am »
That is good financial sense, but it doesn't give you much to be romantic about.

I certainly agree with that last sentence Chris.

Football used to be about winning points and getting to Wembley.

Would it be clearer for everyone, owners in particular if we included an additional column in the Premier League table for the number of millions each position earns.

Then we can avoid confusion and clearly see what everyone is playing for.     

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 09:51:08 pm »
I don't think this eight year deal is quite as cut and dried as it is being made out to be. I'm not convinced this is a straight up contract with an annual salary which is the impression that the reports give. I'm just guessing but I can imagine there will be get-out clauses inserted so that the club can choose to off-load Pardew...say at the end of a season or something like that.

Offline mrmalaki

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 10:49:33 am »
Like most of our owners contracts I imagine it's loaded with performance based bonuses with a low basic wage. On the plus side it means those money motivated folk actually put some effort in to making sure the club does well as it means so do they.

Also the benefit of having a manager (and staff) on an 8 year contract is that if another club, or country, come and say they want him to come and work for them, then we can get a hefty fee to pay off the remains of a contract, the same way a player on a 1 year contract can go for next to nothing compared to a worse player on a long term contract (the biggest example of this in my memory is when Henry moved to Barca for less money than when Darren Bent moved to Spurs in the same summer).

So it sends a positive message to players, staff and fans about longevity at the club whilst also securing either the staff wanted or the funds that would enable us to bring in a replacement.