Author Topic: 29th Oct - It's All Happening Now...  (Read 3555 times)

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
29th Oct - It's All Happening Now...
« on: October 29, 2012, 12:59:09 pm »
Two massive Sunday matches both ended in controversy with refereeing decisions hugely influencing the outcome in both matches.

Everton 2-2 Liverpool
Suarez scores what looks to be a match winner in the final minutes of the game but the flag goes up for an 'incorrect' offside decision. Perhaps what is being overlooked though is the earlier incident where Suarez really should have been shown a red card for an intentional 'assault' on Distin.

Cheslea 2-3 Manchester United
No issues at all with the Ivanovic dismissal, he simply had to go. That incident however seemed to change the context of the game and perhaps in some ways influenced the decision to send Fernando Torres off for diving. Yes, Evans certainly made contact with Torres and it could have been a foul, however Torres could have chosen to stay on his feet and accept the free kick. Instead the Spaniard threw himself at the floor to ensure he'd get the freekick but also in a manner that suggested he was looking to land Evans in the book for the second time and level the playing field at 10 vs 10. Mark Clattenburg may have been wrong not to award Chelsea the freekick but I see no problem with booking Torres for simulation as it is very clear to me that he was looking to make the most of the opportunity to get Evans sent off for a foul that probably wasn't a yellow card.

Things didn't end there though with Chelsea players voicing their opinions towards Mark Clattenburg at the end of the match creating a scenario where the referee has responded with 'inappropriate comments' which look to have him in trouble with the FA. Personally I disagree with the incident as a whole. Firstly, had the Chelsea players not been surrounding the referee following the match then none of this would have happened. Secondly I don't believe for one second that no player wearing a Chelsea shirt was at any time using foul and abusive language during that exchange but I could very well be wrong. My point is that Chelsea have not respected the referee so why should they expect the referee to show respect to Chelsea in return? The FA does very little to protect referees from gangs of players getting in their face and it seems to me that the referees are there to take abuse but are unable to defend themselves.

It's all wrong and it has to stop. I still believe that in any incident the referee should instantly be in control and in a position of respect. I would propose that no player outside of the team captain is allowed to approach a match official unless the official indicates that they wish to speak to that individual. Any player who rushes up to an official and starts shouting in their face should be shown a yellow card straight away and should they persist to protest then should be shown down the tunnel. To my knowledge football is one of the few sports on the planet where the referee is in a position to be intimidated by the players with little he can do about it.

Offline Legzy

• View Profile
Re: 29th Oct - It's All Happening Now...
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 02:04:34 pm »
I still believe that in any incident the referee should instantly be in control and in a position of respect. I would propose that no player outside of the team captain is allowed to approach a match official unless the official indicates that they wish to speak to that individual. Any player who rushes up to an official and starts shouting in their face should be shown a yellow card straight away and should they persist to protest then should be shown down the tunnel. To my knowledge football is one of the few sports on the planet where the referee is in a position to be intimidated by the players with little he can do about it.
Agree with all this completely, so feel there are two cases to answer:
1) All Chelsea players surrounding ref to be punished, then extra punishment for every player using abusive actions while surrounding him (if used).
2) Ref to be punished for abusive actions (if used).

In fairness, the ref was lucky Terry wasn't on the pitch, who knows what that thug would have done ::)

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 03:08:10 pm »
The game however is rather fortunate Terry wasn't on the pitch or he'd manage to lie and drag this sorry state of affairs out into a year long saga.

Offline mrmalaki

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 09:36:08 pm »
Referee's rules state that if contact is made with the player you can NOT caution them for simulation. You can:
- chose to play on, and say that the two opposing offenses cancel each other out.
- award the freekick to the defending team for simulation
- award the freekick/penalty to the attacking team but warn the player about his simulation.

So he made a mistake but his report MUST state that from his view at the time he didn't see Evans make contact with Torres. If he states he did see contact then he should be reprimanded for not taking the correct steps.

The major issue though is that he is alleged to have used racially inappropriate terms when talking to certain players (Mikel Obi being the named player). In a year, or rather a month, which has already been marred by allegations of, and punishments for, racism within the game, the last thing you want is the group of professionals that are charged with enforcing rules, ensuring fair play and protecting players to be guilty of such a thing. I can understand that he has probably been called every name under the sun in the match but if that occurs he should take a stand and punish the player for using foul and abusive language, which according the to Laws of association Football is punishable by a sending off.

Referees should be making a stand, punishing players for being stupid rather than just accepting it as part of the game. If they can cut foul language out by punishing players (no matter who they are Mr Rooney included!) then they will be more alert to other types of abuse occurring in the game whether aimed at themselves or at other players.

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 10:47:55 pm »
More and more people I speak to who love football are switching off the Premier League and watching much less than they used to.

I said to Dolly yesterday afternoon before the Chelsea incidents that I didn't want this in the lounge on a Sunday.

Players feigning injury, diving about, crowding the referees, shouting and swearing at each other and the officials.

We had the odious Saurez of Liverpool diving in front of David Moyes like a 5 year old child followed by the result changing error by the assistant referee in disallowing his last minute winner.

As for Chelsea, there was minimal contact from Johny Evans and Torres went down clutching his knee like he'd been brutally fouled. A clear attempt to con Mark Clattenburg into a second yellow for Johnny Evans.

The Premier League is in a crisis of the FIFA making.

After a great summer of Olympian ideals and the fantastic role models of the summer tennis grand prix's we get this.

It's easy to fix, just bring the game in line with other sports in the 21st century i.e. tv replays and tough discipline on the players.

That's all it needs.       

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 10:36:59 pm »
had to laugh tonight as the Man United fans accuse referee Lee Mason of racism following their defeat to Chelsea in the Capital One Cup.

Mason allegedly called Ryan Giggs a "sheep"  :)  :)