Author Topic: 22nd Oct - Wayne Rooney's second book flops  (Read 2016 times)

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
22nd Oct - Wayne Rooney's second book flops
« on: October 22, 2012, 08:52:48 pm »
Harper Collins signed a book deal with Wayne Rooney for £5 million.

Terms were that he had to write 5 books in 12 years.

So that's 1 book every 2 years pretty much, makes him as much a literary giant as J K Rowling.

Sadly book 2 published 6 weeks ago has only sold 6,000 copies.

Bit short on the £1 million a book investment then 

Rooney's second book flop leaves publishes unsure over future titles
By CHARLES SALE
PUBLISHED: 22:45, 21 October 2012 | UPDATED: 08:05, 22 October 2012
Comments (29)

The remarkably poor sales of Wayne Rooney’s latest book charting 10 years in the top flight demonstrate that the recession in the football book market shows no sign of ending.
Publishers HarperCollins are understood to have sold only about 6,000 copies of Wayne Rooney — My Decade In The Premier League in the six weeks since the launch.
The low uptake follows huge publicity from a newspaper serialisation as well as coinciding with a period when Rooney has been constantly in the headlines through his England captaincy, the 10th anniversary of his spectacular entry into Premier League with that winning strike for  Everton against Arsenal, his 200th club goal and wife Coleen expecting their second child.

HarperCollins held crisis talks last year over the future of their 12-year, £5million, five-book deal with Rooney even before the delayed publication of this second in the series.
The lack of interest makes it more unlikely a further three books will see the light of day before the deal ends in 2018.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-2221065/Wayne-Rooneys-latest-book-flops-sales.html#ixzz2A3jZ6FGO
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 22nd Oct - Wayne Rooney's second book flops
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 09:01:08 pm »
Some of the readers comments:

His shrek movies did well though
- LFC forever, I bleed red, 22/10/2012 12:49

i got his first book but messed it up by colouring outside the lines :-)
- delman666, london, United Kingdom, 22/10/2012 13:09

Can't believe 6000 people thought it was worth spending money on
- Luke, Down South, 22/10/2012 12:57

Maybe if it had his episode with a grandma or the time his wife was pregnant and he was playing away from home it might sell more copies
- Dale Maily, London, United Kingdom, 22/10/2012 13:04

Probably the typical footy fan has never touched a book since they were at school. He would be better off making a dvd.
- johntymol, Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom, 22/10/2012 16:07

His next book will be titled....50 shades of Grey,Grandmother of 4 with a dodgy hip!
- Scouser, Anny Road, United Kingdom, 22/10/2012 15:33

I suppose there are only so many times you can read "Erm you know like", "Erm you know like" , "Erm you know like" .
- ivanthewhatshisname, unpleasantguy, 22/10/2012 14:03

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-2221065/Wayne-Rooneys-latest-book-flops-sales.html#ixzz2A3l0x1FA
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 11:43:47 pm »
No shock really is it? Book sales have been slowly decreasing for the last ten years. Bookstores around the country are closing in numbers with fiction writers in particular struggling to make ends meet. Why should non fiction be any different? People are after a quick fix these days and they get it out of their celebrity gossip magazines. They have little interest in things that have happened in the past and just want what's going on now.

Add to that the fact that all these average footballers and sports stars who are still in the midst of their career seem to be trying to cash in then you have a saturated market place. I have to admit to being unimpressed at an Andy Murray book coming out to celebrate his US Open success and Olympic gold medal. As much as I'm curious about it I think I'd rather wait until he hangs up his racquet and get the complete story.

The good news coming from all of this though is that it is a sign that nobody cares about Rooney or his wife and when his career finishes he will hopefully disappear given his inability to put a complete sentence together should ensure he won't appear as a pundit.

Offline mrmalaki

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 09:37:19 pm »
expected to read:
'Wayne Rooney's second book flops...'

'...but then I did get the paper back'