Author Topic: 4th Dec - Tragedy of assistant referee beaten to death after youth league match  (Read 6675 times)

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
As Sepp Blater and his ramshackle FIFA organisation who run world football sit in splendid denial an assistant referee running the line in a Dutch junior match gets beaten up in front of his family by the players and dies of his injuries.

Well I ran the line for 10 years in junior football and this story does not surprise me one bit.

In fact I'm just amazed it has not happened yet in the UK.

We really need to modernise football and bring it in line with other sports.

It all starts with the role models at the top of our game where it's perfectly fine to give no technical support to our referees and then slaughter them when mistakes are made.

Would be great to mike up the refs for example and hear exactly what is said to referee's by the players and managers during a game. Why hide that ? Is there something to be ashamed of ?  :)   

Dutch linesman clinically dead after post-match beating by teenaged players in Holland
A linesman affiliated to Dutch youth club Buitenboys has died after being assaulted by players in a match on Sunday.

Tragedy: a match official has died from his injuries following a beating he received from players in a youth match in Holland Photo: PAul Grover
By Telegraph Sport6:14PM GMT 03 Dec 2012
Richard Nieuwenhuizen, 41, was rushed to hospital after being punched and kicked by players from opponents Nieuw-Sloten.
His club announced on Twitter: “With great sadness we announce the death of our @Buitenboys linesman Richard Nieuwenhuizen. Our thoughts are with his family.
“Our linesman Richard died at 17:30 in front of his family. This violence must stop on the pitch! #stopsenselessviolence.”
According to reports in Holland, three Nieuwe-Sloten players, aged 15-16, were arrested for alleged involvement in the attack, which occurred in the town of Almere.
The Amsterdam club have responded by banning the players involved in the incident, withdrawing from the league in which the game took place and temporarily suspending all their operations as a club.
A statement on the club’s website read: “The board of sv Nieuw-Sloten learned with horror of the death of the linesman of Buitenboys. We are deeply shocked by the fact that the match yesterday degenerated so badly, with this result.
“We express here our sympathy, firstly to the family of the deceased person. Words fail us. In addition, we also express our sympathy to the Buitenboys club and all its members.
“We distance ourselves strongly from the behaviour of the players who are responsible. As an association, when we were aware of wrongdoing, we apologised to Buitenboys.
“For our club, this is a huge shock, an event that touches all of our members. Violence should not be on the football fields, and certainly not against referees, linesmen and all those others who volunteer.”
The attack in Almere was even discussed at a news conference in Spain on the eve of Ajax’s Champions League match against Real Madrid.
“You can’t imagine it happening,” said Ajax coach Frank de Boer. “That boys of 15, 16 years short-circuit like that. You wonder about the parenting.”
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/9719715/Dutch-linesman-clinically-dead-after-post-match-beating-by-teenaged-players-in-Holland.html

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
So many factors to consider that could be key to such an incident taking place however I'd like to highlight one in particular: Aggression.

Everything about the youth of today seems to have an underlying tone of aggression to it. If you have ever been in a position where you have had to take a stance against a teenager then you will probably note how quickly they elevate from being in disagreement with you to becoming very hostile. I've noted by observing my brother that he first resorts to shouting without any intention of listening to the other person and should he feel that he is not being heard then he will elevate that to getting right in the other person's face in a bid to intimidate them. Should that fail then he will attempt to get physical. He's not a bad guy, but from my perspective, his behaviour when opposed is that which follows a worrying trend I see in a lot of youngsters.

My personal feeling is that the inability to discipline these kids properly has resulted in a society where they believe they can do whatever they want without punishment. There are plenty of us who have grown up in an environment where have been taught respect, reasoning and rules but there are many more who have gone through life believing their are no repercussions for their inappropriate actions.

Football being perhaps the most popular and accessible sport for young men all over the world is having to suffer from the attitude of many of these individuals. We don't have to look further than our own club to see it. Nile Ranger is a very extreme example of what I see as an aggressive young man who acts inappropriately because he believes he cannot be punished in any severe way.

While I believe in equal opportunities and everyone no matter what background they are from having a chance, I do not believe in rewarding these individuals for continuing to act like thugs. I think it is about time that we look to end football's association with violence. Being gifted with the ability to play a sport and fortunate enough to be in a position to pursue that interest in a professional context should be a privilege. It's about time that FIFA stepped in and prevented clubs from treating players like assets by outright banning them from the sport should the situation warrant it. Too often we see clubs displaying a lack of morales with the almighty £ dictating their decisions. Perhaps they should have a few of those decisions taken out of their hands.

I'm also in agreement with the statement that the role models at the top of the game are as much to blame as anyone. Monday night saw the referee swamped by Wigan players following his decision to award a penalty. The protests went on after the goal was scored as two Wigan players raced over to the linesman to continue shouting at him. Is that what kids should be seeing on TV? Is that what you do in a match when you don't like a decision? That's certainly the message being sent out. Be aggressive, get angry, charge down the officials and start protesting. The initial solution to this I believe is to book any player who approaches the referee without his consent. This would instantly put an end to 5 Chelsea players crowding around the referee every time a free kick goes against them etc.

At the youth level I think it's even easier to solve. Quite simply ban any player exhibiting regular violent behaviour or aggression off the ball. Not a soft ban either. Perhaps the first time it can be limited to 3-5 games but repeat offenders must go. Season long bans followed by a refusal to register such players should do it. If whole teams are involved then the next step is to exclude the team and prevent the coaches from getting back into the game. This is a serious issue that must be dealt with. Other sports have control over players, coaches and officials. It is about time football got in line.

Offline Legzy

• View Profile
Agree.