Author Topic: Sat 30th March - Man City 4 Newcastle 0  (Read 2823 times)

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Sat 30th March - Man City 4 Newcastle 0
« on: March 30, 2013, 10:38:43 am »
Bit of an injury crisis here then with Santon, Haidara, Debuchy and Tiote all now injured.

We have the second worst away record in the league and Man City have the best defensive record.

Most interest here will be team selection and who Pardew goes with at left back. Once the game starts it might be better to hide under the duvet.

possible team:

Elliott
Simpson  Steven Taylor  Yanga-Mbiwa   Gutierrez
                    Anita       Cabaye
Gouffran           Sissoko          Marveaux
                         Cisse
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 07:55:40 pm by trophy4toon »

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Sat 30th March - Man City v Newcastle
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 03:08:03 pm »
Nearly got the team right then except for Pardew's favourite son Obertan getting the nod over Marveaux.

I think Obertan is being groomed for the Shola Ameobi role when he retires i.e. the "how on earth does he get in the team every week when he's crap" role that every team needs apparently. 

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 03:11:03 pm »
The subs bench is looking like this:

Substitutes: Steve Harper, Curtis Good, James Perch, Gael Bigirimana, Dan Gosling, Sylvain Marveaux, Adam Campbell

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 05:18:22 pm »
Looked like Pardew was just playing not to pick up injuries. I can see his point really. We have four big matches coming up over the space of two weeks with a quarter-final in Portgual on Thursday before three home matches that we surely want to win. I guess it doesn't matter if you lose by 4 or by 1, you get no points all the same.

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Sat 30th March - Man City 4 Newcastle 0
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 07:59:14 pm »
Agreed Craig, some of the criticism of todays performance is a bit harsh given we were never going to get anything out of the game and have some critical games coming up.

Given whats happening at the bottom of the table we probably need another 4 wins to be safe, thats a tough call.

I notice Chris Hughton's Norwich are dropping like a stone too, as are Sunderland.

The relegation battle is hotting up and there is a lot riding on the Sunderland match coming up.

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 08:53:18 pm »
I think two wins and a draw will probably be enough.

Our remaining fixtures show that the two home games against Fulham and Sunderland have to be priority now. If we win those next two matches then it will give us a huge boost with just five to play. If we take a little pressure off then I think we can get something out of Liverpool at home and then we look to try and snatch something in the away matches so we are not playing for anything on the last day of the season.

Offline mrmalaki

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 09:35:55 pm »
Well the sunderland game will be a little more interesting now as they will have new manager syndrome.

Offline Crico

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 03:47:17 am »
Well, they don't have one yet. Barmy decision really. I guess Short had been looking at 442's predictions which had Everton taking fourth and Sunderland going down. When you're working out of a town like Sunderland and the stadium rarely fills itself, anything more than lower mid-table is a big ask, but I think he would have kept them up. He is still a cut above the club he managed.

Even with NMS I hope we will roll them over. Their players are going to be thinking that they had a decent manager with a good record - lets not belittle it as seems to be fashionable: never relegated, never sacked, league cups with Leicester City - and still couldn't get safe. Highly doubtful as to whether someone can come in at this point and turn it around, especially since they will have no window to work with and no-one to replace Fletcher.

That said, we're not safe yet. We have a kinder fixture list and a better squad, but I will still be a bit bricky if we don't take all 3 points against Fulham.

I'm hoping for Hugton Norwich will be ok. He has done a good job so far and his run in is favourable. Man City on the last day but I think they will be out of the woods by then.

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 11:43:21 am »
Benfica (a)
Fulham (h)
Benfica (h)
Sunderland (h)

It's a huge eleven days for the football club and we cannot afford to miss out on taking 6 points form the home double-header in the Premier League. We had similar situation earlier in the season against West Ham and then Swansea where we picked up no points at home and I feel that is exactly what has us near the relegation zone. No mistakes this time. The very minimum we can take from these games is 4 points but we must look to get 6 on the board.

We need big performances from big players. Papiss Cisse needs to be putting the ball in the net while Yohan Cabaye and Moussa Sissoko have been too quiet in recent weeks. Sylvain Marveaux is another who I feel is due the club a big showing. He always seems capable of being the creative threat but we don't see enough of him on the ball making things happen.

My fear is that Pardew's cautious approach is going to land us in more trouble. His regular usage of Jonas Gutierrez as an additional defensive player in the midfield won't do us any favours in the coming weeks. We need to be going forward with the ball and scoring goals. At this stage of the season it's all about scoring. Look at Southampton who we exposed as being unable to defend to save themselves. Forget trying to hold the door shut at the back and get up the park and put the ball in the net.

Offline Legzy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2013, 10:36:57 pm »
with both those Prem matches following Thursday games, I think we might struggle to get 4 points :-\
I do hope we attack though, it does feel like we have a team good enough for it