Author Topic: Scouting trip to Denmark  (Read 3210 times)

Offline mrmalaki

• View Profile
Scouting trip to Denmark
« on: May 31, 2014, 04:15:16 pm »
This week I've been on holiday and was lucky enough to persuade the people I was with that a trip to a football match would be a good idea. So the match we saw was Denmark vs Sweden in the danish stadium of Parken in Copenhagen. I can't remember all the players but I'll mention the few that stood out to me. But first the names we'll recognise.

1 Kasper Schmeichel - he's not particularly experienced at international level but looked good between the sticks. Solid shot stopping and seemed to have a good control of his area and back line. A line lead by:

2 Daniel Agger - really good performance from the Liverpool man. Between himself and Simon Kjaer they kept Ibrahimovic quite during the half he played. He also scored a 90th minute penalty to send the danes home happy.

3 Christian Eriksen - brilliant all game. Everything the danes did going forward was through him and he had a couple of chance from distance that went close.

4 Seb Larsson - the Sunderland player didn't really seem to know where he was playing. He was moving around others far too often for someone that was meant to be playing on the right of midfield.

5 Johan Elmander - Was better in the second half, after Zlatan came off, really both are target men but the team didn't play to that strength. When he became the lead forward he showed more of the type of game that gave him a good season at Bolton a few years ago.

6 Zlatan Ibrahimovic -  what can you say about a player that gets booed every time he touches the ball. He is clearly a great player, often it is the best players that are booed more than others. This was an off day though and you could kinda see he didn't care. A little disappointed as he was one of the players I was looking forward to seeing.

On to those that may be targets for the Newcastle team. It maybe a surprise but all of these come from the Danish side.

Martin Braithwaite - currently playing for Toulouse. He isn't a player that will set the world alight with stunning goals or even a big number. I think 5 a season would be his aim. But he is a player that creates a lot of space with his movement. He played as a lone striker and was able to both hold up play and make space for the advancing midfield. This fits Newcastles current tactics. And since we lost Shola, Remy and De Jong we only now have Cisse as a senior striker.

Simon Kjaer - I remember hearing a lot about Kjaer a few years ago, when he was at Palermo, but all went quite after a few unimpressive seasons. Now he's at Lille and playing much better. He's still only 25 but has a wealth of experience.

Pierre Hojbjerg - central midfielder that took on Zlatan when he dropped deep. While he may not be open to a permanent move, as he is currently at Bayern Munich, at  just 18 years old a move away to gain more pitch time. A definite player to watch out for in the future. This was his international debut but he fit right in to a decent midfield.

Jakob Ahlmann - left back. Everyone knows pardew loves a left back . He plays in Denmark for the current Danish champions and seemed to have unlimited energy getting up and down the wing. He was helped by Seb Larsson not sticking to his position so was able to work the opposing full back 2 on 1 with Krohn-Dehli this was were alot of action was seen.

All in all some good performances and a good win (1-0) for Denmark. I feel Denmark is very much an untapped market when it comes to football talent. With the exception of a few names, since their great team of 1992 not many have really made it to (let alone at) the top.

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: Scouting trip to Denmark
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 03:06:28 pm »
I thought it would be interesting to revisit a few of these topics and see where some of these players have gone since being identified here.

Braithwaite - Still at Toulouse and has been since 2013. Has a 1 in 4 goalscoring record which is fairly decent but I imagine as mrmalaki suggested he isn't setting the world alight.

Kjr - Moved to Fenerbache from Lille but has only played three games since arriving in the summer in a 7.5M move.

Hojbjerg - Still at Bayern but out on loan at Schalke this year after being out at Ausburg last season. He hasn't been a big goalscorer from central midfield but he's still only twenty. I think there's potential here and I quite believe he may move on from Bayern soon. May be worth keeping tabs on for the remainder of the season.

Ahlmann - Hasn't left Aalborg yet. Now 24. The fact he hasn't moved on suggests he may have found his level or simply that clubs aren't looking at players in the Danish league.