Author Topic: PRE-SEASON GAMES  (Read 4468 times)

Offline mrmalaki

• View Profile
PRE-SEASON GAMES
« on: July 15, 2014, 06:44:58 pm »
Starting line up for tonight's game against Oldham:

Alnwick; Anita, S.Taylor, Yanga-Mbiwa, Dummett; Gouffran, Abeid, Colback, Aarons; de Jong (c); Armstrong.

Subs: Woodman, Ha´dara, Streete, Satka, Bigirimana, Sa.Ameobi, Vuckic, Perez

- Good to see Pardew having a look at Abeid and Vuckic after having seasons out on loan.

That said I wouldn't expect many of this 19 to be starting against Man City in a months time.

14' - GOAL! Oldham Athletic 0-1 Newcastle United - Siem de Jong's free-kick hits the wall but he absolutely lashes the rebound into the top right corner. Stunning goal on his debut!

68' - 1-1 - The hosts draw level as debutant Timothy Dieng heads in a cross from the right-hand side, leaving Alnwick with no chance

78' - 2-1 - Gros makes no mistake a moment later. Yanga-Mbiwa goes down hurt and Oldham break, allowing the sub striker to beat Alnwick.   
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 08:01:37 am by mrmalaki »

Offline mrmalaki

• View Profile
Re: PRE-SEASON GAMES
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 11:06:16 pm »
We beat Sydney FC 4-0 this morning goals from De Jong, Riveire, Yanga-Mbiwa and Armstrong.

Minute applauses were held in memory of the two fans who passed away on the Malaysia Air flight - both on the minute of their ages. And before the game Pardew and Coloccini laid wreaths on the seats that the two men were scheduled to be sat in.

All in all a good performance, and injury free on the pitch, whilst respect and memories were upheld for those off of it.

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 09:20:00 am »
BT Sport managed to get in on the act and demonstrate their unsuitablity for broadcasting football matches as they turned to adverts as opposed to screening the minute silence for John and Liam.

Back a home a reserve lineup which included Ben Arfa, Obertan and Bigirimana drew 4-4 behind closed doors with Scottish side Queen of the South. Both Ben Arfa and Bigirimana scored. A picture has also surfaced of Ben Arfa posing for a photo with one of the QotS players which suggests he is not overweight at all. More lies fabricated by the football club to turn the supporters against a player that the club would like to sell it seems.

Offline mrmalaki

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 08:56:39 pm »
Managed to catch a bit of the match from earlier today (a 3-1 loss to Malaga in he Schalke Cup). If one word could sum up the performance I think lethargic would be it.

There was just absolutely no energy - Obertan scored are only goal after coming on as a sub, but not once did he utilise the fact that he was fresher and quicker than the man he had to beat! The defence were slow to come out and close anything down and the midfield were tiresome in dropping in to those gaps also - which made the amount of time and space the Malaga players had around the box was easier to count in minutes than seconds. I was of the impression that if the game wasn't interrupted by numerous substitutions then it could well have been a lot more embarrassing.

We play Schalke (who drew with West Ham this afternoon) tomorrow. who are a better side in my opinion, so that should show something of our fitness as it is not particularly easy to play two games in 24hrs.

I'll be interested to see how the chosen striker(s) do up against two very talented youngsters at centre back (Joel Matip and Kyriakos Papadopoulos) both are just 22 and are highly regarded in Bundesliga, that said they didn't play together in today's game so they may only go up against one at a time.

Offline mrmalaki

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 03:50:29 pm »
Well we can ignore my last statement in part. Kyriakos Papadopulous has agreed to join Bayer Leverkusen on loan so is unlikely to appear today.

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 04:11:36 pm »
I don't understand the value in yesterday's match. We put out a patchy looking team that didn't bother to play with any sort of tempo. We learned nothing about formation, players who are likely to be in the first eleven have yet to play together and we did nothing fitness wise either.

I will be hugely concerned come next weekend if we have failed to get De Jong, Tiote, Cabella, Janmaat etc all on the pitch at the same time.

Offline mrmalaki

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 04:35:18 pm »
Well today's line up may not help your understanding:

Krul; Anita, Williamson, Coloccini (c), Dummett; Obertan, Sissoko, Colback, Aarons; Riviere, Gouffran

But on the bench we see our new signing:
Elliot, Alnwick, Satka, Haidara, Yanga-Mbiwa, Taylor, Streete, Abeid, Vuckic, Cabella, Armstrong, Campbell, Perez, Ferreyra

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 09:33:31 am »
Despite winning 3-1 I wouldn't claim that it was a great team performance. We didn't have a lot of the ball and we gave it away very easily when Schalke were quick to close down.

That being said you can argue that it was a home game for Schalke and we set up to counter attack. We certainly looked stronger at the back, even without Tiote so that's definitely a plus.

I still don't think you can tell a lot about the team though when you don't have all your key players on at the same time. We don't seem to have tested which formation works best and who should be playing where. I have my own ideas of that but I'll be interested to see what Alan Pardew comes up with.

From an individual perspective there were plenty of promising signs though. Aarons looks promising to the point that I think he can be at least what Wayne Routledge was. Riviere's header was everything I wanted to see. A good finish but also a demonstration of good movement in the penalty area. Cabella getting a goal was also a nice touch as it will give him a boost going into the season.

The question now is how do we put all the pieces together? Do we want to utilise width or are we going to go 4-3-3? It's a tough call now as we have two strikers but also several players more suited to the forward three.

I like the idea of Tiote and Sissoko being more of a defensive midfield pairing. In front of that you can have De Jong, Cabella and another (Gouffran/Aarons/Ben Arfa) with either Riviere or Ferreyra up front.

My biggest fear is that we try to play 4-4-2 with Sissoko out on the right, Tiote and De Jong down the middle and Cabella out left. I'm not overly convinced that would work.

Offline mrmalaki

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 11:07:22 am »
Gotta agree that the scoreline doesn't adequately depict the match that I saw. When you consider some of the names that were missing from the Schalke side (Howedes, Draxlar, Farafan, Huntelaar, Barnetta) it could have been a very different game were they back. That said Max Meyer looked a good prospect for the German side.

Stand out performance from Aarons - showed his pace and that he has a decent cross on him (that said his goal was from miss-hitting a cross so maybe he is somewhat inconsistent).

I noticed Colback took most of the set pieces whilst on the pitch - but delivery was largely disappointing - don't expect many goals from corners from this season.

Riviere looked strong and mobile, made a top class run across the defender to get his head to the cross for his goal.

Moving forward I think we looked more comfortable in a 442 but the players we have that can play wide aren't ones I expect to be seeing much of in the first team. When De Jong, Sissoko and Tiote return our strength is down the spine of the team so that's where we should be operating - if we were to play a 433 I'd expect a lot of the width to come from our full backs with Cabella switching to the sides from time to time to offer support. One thing that would not be advantageous is to put Cabella out as a winger as he offers so much more playing centrally but sometimes drifting wide.

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2014, 02:35:39 pm »
Colback reminds me a lot of Anita. He's good at doing pretty much nothing in particular. He doesn't have any stand out qualities, he just seems to be there. Pardew will like that because he 'works hard' but really he doesn't add to the game in any way. He's not passing the ball around (Cabaye), breaking up play (Tiote), or getting forward (Dyer) or even just a presence (Speed).