Author Topic: Sat 1st Aug - Newcastle 0 Borussia Monchengladbach 1  (Read 1761 times)

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Sat 1st Aug - Newcastle 0 Borussia Monchengladbach 1
« on: July 18, 2015, 06:11:03 am »
kick off 3pm
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 06:10:57 pm by trophy4toon »

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Sat 1st Aug - Newcastle v Borussia Monchengladbach
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 07:41:43 am »
As the long and weary and some would say bizarre pre season friendlies draw to close all eyes will be on Steve McClaren's team selection and what that might indicate for the Southampton match which is only 8 days away.

The big attraction will be our 3 big money signings Wijnaldum, Mitrovic and Mbemba all playing.

There are some interesting questions to answer, I would imagine both us supporters and Southampton also have not got a clue who might turn out in the first match such has been the disarray of our pre season friendlies. Lets hope Steve McClaren has a better idea than we have.

Where is Cheik Tiote since his 45 minutes against Gateshead ? otherwise our midfield will be anchored by the Colback, Anita pairing.

Where is Coloccini , he seems to have watched every match so far but not played one minute of pre season ? or we are looking at a centre back pairing of Taylor/Mbemba.

Whats happening at left back ? I'm guessing Haidara is going in there given we've seen nothing of Dummett yet this season.

Will Cisse and Mitrovic play together up front ? can't really see him going for a twin striker formation that includes Cisse

What are we doing with Aarons and Perez, probably the stand out players from pre season yet neither could start ?     

Whatever happens, I'm thinking it might be useful to use one of the pre season matches to actually play a team that remotely looks like our first team starting 11 ?

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: Sat 1st Aug - Newcastle v Borussia Monchengladbach
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 05:18:12 pm »
Once again a pre season friendly just leaves more questions than answers.

No further sign of Tiote and Coloccini remains unfit for selection it seems. Colback and Anita starting as a defensive midfield pairing just looks far too negative to be effective going forward and again today it proved that it doesn't stop goals going in either.

At left back Haidara seems the choice but he has yet to convince me that he is of the required standard if I'm honest.

Today's formation preferred Cisse to Mitrovic which I thought was a little bizarre. Maybe this was due to Mitrovic appearing through the week at York? Similarly Aarons didn't feature until late in the match either.

Mbemba came on a right full back which made very little sense to me as it's the one position he is sure not to be playing. Williamson and Taylor in central defense strikes fear into the heart of every Newcastle fan. Few can still understand why Williamson is even still at the club.

So what is the starting eleven for next week? I don't think anyone really knows. Does Steve McClaren know yet? Here's what I would play assuming everyone is available:

Krul
Janmaat Mbemba Coloccini Haidara
Tiote
Sissoko Wijnaldum Aarons
De Jong
Mitrovic

I'm probably thinking very different to the average fan but I like De Jong. I think when he's on the pitch he can make things happen and he's a better asset to have in there than another defensive player like a Colback or Anita.

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Sat 1st Aug - Newcastle 0 Borussia Monchengladbach 1
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 06:20:02 pm »
Points well made Craig and it's fair to ask the question what is this pre season all about.

Maybe all the work is being done on the training ground, lets hope so.

Team selection today just seemed completely bizarre unless we are genuinely trying to confuse Southampton.

We've yet to play any team in pre season remotely resembling our full strength side.

Why were Cisse, Obertan, Williamson and Taylor playing today, are we showcasing them for sale, no one wants to see them in our team.

Why bring on our new centre back Mbemba and play him at right back. Why were Aarons and Perez and Wijnaldum and Mitrovic sat on the bench for 60 minutes. Mitrovic looks like he needs some match practice to sharpen up his goalscoring.

I hope McClaren and his coaching team have a plan here, if so they've done a masterly job of covering up from Southampton and us supporters.

Confidence going into Southampton match after that pre season, practically nil.   

UNITED: Krul (c), Janmaat (Mbemba 62), Williamson, Taylor, Ha´dara, Anita (De Jong 75), Colback, Sissoko (Perez 81), Obertan (Aarons 62), Wijnaldum, CissÚ (Mitrovic 62).

GLADBACH: Sommer, Christensen, Herrmann (Drmic 61) , Dahoud (Dominquez 61), Raffael (Hazard 61), Stindl, Traore (Ritter 84), Wendt (Johnson 61), Schulz (Brouwers 76), Jantschke (Nordtveit 76), Xhaka (Korb 76)

Ref: Jon Moss

Crowd: 21,088   

Offline mrmalaki

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 09:29:24 pm »
I reckon the back 7 (GK, Defenders and 2 CDM) will be what starts against Southampton - the only possible change is Mbemba coming in for Williamson, but they will rest on him proving himself in training this week.

As for the attacking 4 players I'd pick Aarons, De Jong and Wijnaldum playing behind Mitrovic (assuming we don't actually sign Austin in which case those two have a real fight on their hands over who will take the starting position).

I realise this means Sissoko, Tiote & Coloccini are all on the bench but it may just make them pick up their game and earn a starting place, or demand a move away - I don't really mind either way.

On the Austin front is there any chance of doing a deal at ú10m + Cisse? I reckon Cisse will bang them in the Championship and is a player that I imagine wouldn't mind dropping a division to remain a first choice player and get back on form.

Selling Williamson might be harder (especially as we don't have that much cover at CB so his value will be inflated due to the necessity to replace him), talking of which do we have any prospects for replacements?

Can't we just release Obertan, waste of space, we'd often be better with 10 men than 11 including him.

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 12:20:43 am »
Cisse won't go to the Championship. The club were offered ú3M for him from a Turkish club willing to pay him a ludicrous amount more than he'd get from QPR. We may be able to offload Vuckic to QPR though as they seemed keen on acquiring him.

Well from what I've read Leeds offered a sum of money to take Williamson and it didn't meet our valuation. He needs to be shifted out the door. He's finished at this level and is in the way of younger players developing.

For me any team that plays a pair of runts in defensive midfield is looking at a hiding in every single match they play. Neither Colback nor Anita has the physicality to play in that position. It's not just about making tackles but it's about being first to the ball, crashing into players to win headers and dominating that space in front of the back line. Colback just looks like another Nicky Butt to me and Anita is a poor man's Emre.