Author Topic: Sat 23rd Aug - Man United 0 Newcastle 0  (Read 2025 times)

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Sat 23rd Aug - Man United 0 Newcastle 0
« on: August 19, 2015, 06:25:26 am »
Well I watched Man United play Bruges in the Champions League last night and I have to say they looked anything but spluttering. Then the sight of the huge Marouane Fellaini coming on in the second half to terrorise the Bruges defence in the air was almost a premonition of next Saturday lunchtime.

What will MacClaren do with team selection this Saturday ? Having said he learn't nothing from the Swansea match other than don't go down to 10 men then you wonder why we bought Mitrovic in the first place. In 24 minutes of play he could easily have had 2 red cards with 2 needless and reckless challenges. Whether Mitrovic calms down when he is playing more remains to be seen but there is only one way to find out, play him !

We have to replace Janmaat but I think that is going to be as we finished against Swansea with Mbemba at right back and Taylor joining Coloccini in the middle.

Is he going to stick with our overrun midfield, not sure he has many options. He'll use Anita and Colback to shore up the middle. The problem seems to be with playing Sussoko wide right that he's not a grafter who's going to work back and help out his full back, against Man United that could be fatal. There is no guarantee he'll be fit anyway after his groin injury at Swansea.

Obertan to be fair works hard and he wasn't the worst player at Swansea. Wijnaldum playing behind Cisse, hmmmmm, where else would he play, especially now De Jong the next in line for that role is injured again.

Might Aarons get a start, probably not against Man United.

So I'm guessing not much change in the line for this week other than Mitrovic to start:
                               Krul
Mbemba       Taylor     Coloccini      Haidara
                     Anita            Colback
Sissoko/Aarons         Wijnaldum          Obertan
                               Mitrovic  

To be honest after checking the fixtures at the start of the season I thought after our first 4 matches we'd be bottom of the league with no points. It actually looks like we'll be in the bottom 3 with 1 point after the first 4 matches going into the International break. Hopefully we can fit in a Capital One Cup win against Northampton to boost our spirits a little.

But the season really starts for us on 14th September at West Ham and maybe we won't see our first league win until we play Watford at home on 19th September. To stop us getting carried away that's quickly followed by matches against Chelsea and Man City.

Oh dear, prepare for a bleak August and September and lots of moanings from the fans ...........        
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 07:46:18 pm by trophy4toon »

Offline Slam Dunc

• View Profile
Re: Sat 23rd Aug - Man United v Newcastle
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 07:01:12 am »
Yes even Slam Dunc will be going for a home win for this match.

Then as our leader says where do we look for our first win............

Another long long season.

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 08:30:52 pm »
Hmmm, wonder if Thauvin might start wide right, especially if Sissoko is still injured.

Nothing to lose playing him really, expectations low for this match might be a good opportunity to get him used to the team.

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 07:58:24 pm »
ah yes, great news.

It's just been pointed out to me that Fellaini has still got 1 match to go of his suspension.

Phew, I didn't fancy him against Coloccini and Taylor

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2015, 07:57:59 am »
The stats are quite depressing for this match, good luck to the fans who are travelling:
- Newcastle have now lost their last 7 Premier League away matches scoring only once
- Newcastle have lost 25 Premier League matches against Man United, more than to any other side
- Newcastle record at Old Trafford in the Premier League is W 1, D 7, L 13
- Newcastle have lost 10 of their last 13 matches
- Man United have won 15 of their last 19 matches
- though they have scored more than once just once in their last 8 matches

ah well, maybe we can hope for a draw

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2015, 12:43:26 pm »
I assume this is the team:

Krul
Mbemba Taylor Coloccini Haidara
Colback Anita
Perez Wijnaldum Obertan
Mitrovic

Not for me thanks. How long is McClaren going to persist with a defensive midfield of Colback/Anita before he realises that it is not good enough for a Premier League outfit? I don't understand this new football logic of playing two defensive midfielders as to me it results in not being able to do anything with the ball once you get it back. Where are the days of 4-4-2 where you had two wingers bombing down the flanks and an energetic central midfielder following into the box behind two strikers? Attacking, exciting football? Looking dangerous at home or away?

I could be wrong but from what I've seen thus far I can see this being a frustrating day where the ball doesn't reach Mitrovic and he ends up getting frustrated and sent off.

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2015, 12:49:17 pm »
03:00 - In three minutes I think we've had the ball for about 15 seconds. Wayne Rooney already slipping away from Steven Taylor and putting the ball in the back of the net but thankfully he's marginally offside.

07:00 - It appears Rooney wasn't offside and we benefited hugely from the linesman being on the near side of the pitch where it may have looked from his angle that Rooney was ahead of Taylor. Regardless it was sloppy defending but pretty much what I expect from Steven Taylor who majority of supporters have identified as being nowhere near good enough.

12:00 - Perez chops down Schweinsteiger and it's a free kick on the edge of the box. Thankfully Mata's effort is relatively tame and we get away with looking fragile in midfield again. At this point I'm baffled by how easily Manchester United are finding space given that we have two defensive midfielders playing. Surely a fit Tiote is a better option that the pairing of Anita/Colback?

13:00 - I can't believe what I'm seeing. Colback goes out to defend the cross, whilst Obertan stands and watches Depay overlap into acres of space. This is the absolute basics! Why are we playing Obertan when he offers nothing at the back and very little going forward?

14:00 - More garbage defending. Awful defensive header from Haidara presents Mata a chance to shoot inside the box. Fortunately he goes for the near post and Tim Krul can turn it away. This really does look a matter of time until Manchester United get on the scoresheet. A decent shot from distance and this is done.

15:00 - Steve McClaren heading down to pitchside from his observation post in the stand. Clearly he is seeing the same rubbish I am and is intent on issuing some new instructions. Every time Manchester United pick the ball up in midfield they drive it forward and Newcastle look fragile.

18:00 - First proper run forward into the Manchester United half and Haidara wins a free kick out wide with a nice bit of skill. Wijnaldum's delivery is decent but doesn't find a Newcastle head. With Mitrovic, Taylor and Coloccini all on the park I had hoped we would look threatening from set plays.

20:00 - Nice bit of pressing by Colback allows Haidara to play a wonderful one-two with the increasingly impressive Wijnaldum. Haidara unfortunately takes a heavy touch bursting into the box then goes in the book for lunging in as Man Utd clear. Much better football from Newcastle. But as I say that Depay leaves Mbemba for dead and gets a shot in at Krul from a tight angle.

22:00 - Has anyone seen Mitrovic? The big Serbian is apparently playing upfront but as I feared earlier he hasn't had a kick of the ball yet. His sole contribution was to crash through a Man Utd player in the opening 30 seconds. But there is the big man now! Towering header from a Mbemba cross but it thunders back off the crossbar with Romero in the Man Utd goal well beaten.

24:00 - Newcastle at sixes and sevens trying to scramble the ball clear. Anita misjudges a header in midfield again allowing Man Utd to charge forward. Krul comes out for a wander and gets lost leaving the goal wide open but Mbemba gets to the loose ball first and gets it away. Really poor defensive play again starting in the midfield. Surely this must be concerning Steve McClaren. The defensive pairing of Anita/Colback are being exposed for being too small and not having enough physicality to dominate the game.

26:00 - Mitrovic looks a real threat any time the ball arrives through the air. Unfortunately he isn't seeing a great deal of the ball because Obertan couldn't cross the road nevermind a football. This time he manages to send his cross about ten yards away from the nearest Newcastle shirt or the danger area in the box. Pretty much the same rubbish we've watched from him the last three years. Time for a change of winger perhaps?

31:00 - The thing about having Mitrovic upfront is he provides a good outlet if you have to hit the ball long. It offers variety. The problem we have though is that he's up there on his own so if the ball does come long he has nobody to aim at . Maybe it's just my desire to play with a second striker shining through but it feels like a waste of an asset not having someone up there to chase down flick-ons etc.

39:00 - We actually don't look bad going forward. We have a bit pace and Wijnaldum is a massive addition in the midfield. The only problem is that I think Wijnaldum could do with someone else in there around him as there is a ton of space to exploit when he picks the ball up in central areas. At the moment he has nobody to play off in the middle of the park meaning that our attack avenues really have to come from out wide.

41:00 - Wijnaldum looks class. He nibbles away at the fullback forcing an error allowing Perez to have a go from distance. For some reason the referee and linesman conspire to give us a corner. Nothing from the corner but Mitrovic really looks menacing in the air. He's going to cause problems for centre halves all season by the looks of it.

44:00 - This time Colback gives the ball away cheaply in midfield and again it goes back to what I was saying about not looking comfortable on the ball. 3 on 3 but we get enough numbers back before the ball is teed up for Depay who to me doesn't look anything special thus far.

H/T - A slow start to the first half but Newcastle have looked more competitive in the last fifteen minutes. My major concern is that Manchester United look threatening when they pick the ball up in midfield as we appear to back off and try to defend on the edge of our own area. I can't shake the feeling that we are always one stupid mistake away from shooting ourselves in the foot. Hopefully we can get more balls in to Mitrovic and try to give him a chance to convert. Looking forward to seeing Thauvin in the second half. Would be keen to see Aarons and De Jong get a go as well.

Update: Rooney offside goal shown by Howard Webb on BT Sport to actually be offside. Technology confirming that.

51:00 - Rooney brings Obertan down in the Newcastle half. A touch of the 'England player advantage' being applied by the referee as any other player would have gone in the book there.

54:00 - Colback gives the ball away too often for me. Either with a poor pass or when trying to take advantage of a loose ball. He's not tidy enough and giving the ball away thirty yards out is going to cost us goals.

57:00 - Another free kick on the edge of the area. Depay hits it straight into the wall.

61:00 - Man Utd get in behind our full backs far too often and too easily. We seem to be able to close them out before they get a decent ball in but I'm a bit concerned that other teams will be all over that strategy.

63:00 - A sniff of an opportunity from another ball into the box. Smalling attacks, Coloccini does enough to put him off and the ball is cleared again. All Man Utd at the moment. We haven't really got going again since half time. Do we try to keep the door closed or do we change things and look to go back on the attack?

68:00 - Florian Thauvin about to make his debut replacing Obertan. In fairness I can't remember Obertan kicking the ball this half. Interesting time for Thauvin to make his debut as he is going to have to do plenty of defensive work.

69:00 - First touch for Thauvin and here we go with the stepovers. Draws the foul from Shaw.

70:00 - Thauvin tries his hand at taking a corner. Turns out he's no better than anyone else we have. Can anyone take a corner kick anymore? Quick counter attack and Thauvin brings down Hernandez. Hang on a minute...Hernandez is waving the imaginary yellow card. Isn't that a booking for Hernandez then? I'm sure the new rules say that isn't allowed.

73:00 - The last five minutes there has been far too much space down the flanks. Manchester United are finding it regularly. Great challenge from Coloccini this time shuts the attack down. Long time to go on the back foot here. We need to get a foot on the ball and keep hold of it.

75:00 - Again we look a bit suspect to the ball in to the box. It goes over Mbemba but his jump is enough to put Depay off what looked like a free header. Wave after wave of attack. It feels like the first half hour again.

76:00 - Tiote has replaced Perez with McClaren clearly feeling that we need to shut up shop given all the chances Manchester United are suddenly making. Expect a yellow card momentarily.

79:00 - It's like pinball on the edge of the penalty area until the ball breaks for Hernandez one on one with Krul. The keeper flies out and makes a great block to deny the Mexican. Would have been harsh to lose a goal to a bit of luck but Man Utd are pressing hard at the moment.

84:00 - Great block again from Coloccini as he takes a volley square in the chest on the edge of the six yard box. This has been a massive return to form for the captain who has been the target of criticism since the end of last season.

86:00 - Every Newcastle player is pinned back inside their own third of the pitch. We have eight outfield players in the penalty area. There are still at least six or seven minutes of play to go here. We need to get up the pitch. Rooney with a foul inside our penalty area and he goes off shouting and swearing at the referee. England player advantage again as he doesn't go in the book for dissent.

87:00 - Mitrovic heads off to be replaced with Cisse. Good day for the big man even if he is still to net his first goal for the club. Looks impressive and I'll be keen to take a better look at him at St James Park next week.

90:00 - Corner for Manchester United. Michael Owen awards Coloccini the man of the match...so you know what is coming. Smalling crashes his header off the post! Typical. But down the other end Cisse drives forward, he twists and turns, fires across goal and the ball just evades the touch of Thauvin who could have been an instant hero.

90:00 - 4 minutes of added time. Nobody is entirely sure where those have come from as there hasn't been an injury all game.

92:00 - Booming header from Mbemba at the back post clears. Ball back in and Coloccini heads out. Carrick fires in a volley but that's deflected wide. More pressure as Anita gives the ball away. Everyone is back. No nonsense defending from Mbemba again. It's hard not to like this lad.

94:00 - Time is up. A deserved point after some good defending. Makes up for the disappointment of last week. Plenty of work to do but signs of promise.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 02:36:21 pm by CraigDoyle »

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2015, 01:38:07 pm »
Half time 0-0
What an embarrassing first 20 minutes. There is nothing wrong with the back four, it's what's not happening in front of them thats causing the issues. If we are going to play Colback and Anita in front of the defence then they have to pick up and close down quickly.
As for Obertan, he has no football brain and can't follow runners either and given Mbemba little support.
Perez looks good and working hard.
We eventually got some ball and then exposed this Man United team for what they are, looking weak at the back and Mitrovic certainly looks dangerous against Blind and Smalling.
Schweinsteiger looks overrated to me, slow and ponderous, very little attacking threat from him.
We could get something from this second half.
Anyone's game second half 

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2015, 02:47:45 pm »
Man of the match given to Coloccini, well played our captain.
Mitrovic was great, I really liked him.
Mbemba too has a lot of character.
Perez played well too.
Extremely lucky to get a point but a very spirited performance.
Bring on Arsenal .....

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Sat 23rd Aug - Man United 0 Newcastle 0
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2015, 07:59:07 pm »
Team and substitutions from Saturday:
Newcastle United: Krul 7, Coloccini 8, Mbemba 6, Taylor 7.5, Haidara 6.5, Anita 7, Colback 7, Obertan 5 (Thauvin 69 mins, 6.5), Wijnaldum 7, Perez 6.5 (Tiote 78 mins, 6), Mitrovic 6.5 (Cisse 88 mins)
Subs not used: Williamson, De Jong, Aarons, Darlow
Booked: Haidara, Obertan
MOTM: Coloccini
Referee: Craig Pawson 7

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3206971/Manchester-United-0-0-Newcastle-United-Wayne-Rooney-denied-goal-season-offside-flag.html#ixzz3jlDCBdMs
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook