Author Topic: Sat 19th Dec - Newcastle 1 Aston Villa 1  (Read 1452 times)

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Sat 19th Dec - Newcastle 1 Aston Villa 1
« on: December 19, 2015, 08:08:05 pm »
I do feel sorry for our fans, turning out in the pouring rain to watch that. That was a terrible football match.

Steve McClaren was smiling on the pitch at the end of the match. He does not seem to get it.

That was a terrible performance, a terrible game of football and a terrible result against one of our main relegation rivals.

Just not good enough, the whole team and management should apologise. 

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: Sat 19th Dec - Newcastle 1 Aston Villa 1
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 10:53:45 pm »
They just don't understand John. Today was another example of all the problems I keep highlighting every single week.

Colback/Anita are playing the role of one player. If we don't not replace these two with one central midfielder in January then I'm cancelling my season ticket. Both are ineffective at this level of football in this country which is why we play both to cover for their inadequacies.

Wijnaldum is a central midfielder and must start there alongside a competent partner. Otherwise he simply isn't in the game. Out left he is anonymous.

Upfront the pairing of Cisse and De Jong appears to be a comedy act. De Jong with his lack of pace and uncanny ability to trip over the ball is just a non starter in this league.

At the back Dummett continues despite looking like a League One defender. He can't kick the ball with his left foot but plays left back!

Then we have the manager who I honestly think is a carbon copy of Joe Kinnear. He thinks a draw at home to Villa is a result and will look back on the lack of a defeat as a small victory. His tactics are the same Pardew routine of square pegs in round holes that just don't work. Typically he can't see or is unwilling to admit to his own failings so we are stuck with his out of date strategies.

Rubbish. I've had enough and I'm demanding change or I'll no longer be a customer.

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 01:51:30 am »
Now that I'm home I have more to add.

Defending of corners and free kicks around the penalty area is absolutely disastrous. I have not seen any club adopt a defensive approach like we do. This may not be evident on TV but all ten outfield players are back to defend corners. Eight enter the penalty area and two sit on the edge. What this does of course is indicate to the opposition that Newcastle won't be attempting a fast break from the corner so feel free to pile as many men into the box as possible. In fact should Newcastle clear the corner then they will concede possession of the ball instantly by kicking it up field allowing the opposition to fire it straight back in again. Absolute rubbish. Where has this nonsense come from? If we leave Perez and Wijnaldum up the pitch then it will force our opponents to leave defenders back in case the ball breaks out to them thus relieving some of the pressure on our goal.

Similarly this appears to be our midfield:

Perez
Wijnaldum ----- ----- Sissoko
----- ----- ----- -----
Colback Anita

Whenever we have the ball we have spaces where the ----- are in the diagram above. Unsurprisingly these are in key positions such as the middle of the pitch! I just can't understand how anyone who is a professional football manager can't see this issue. It's clear as day that we just don't have anyone playing central midfield at all and instead we have what are effectively two extra defenders. This just causes chaos both defensively and offensively. In terms of defensive play we can't win any balls in the central areas not only because Colback and Anita have no height but because they aren't high enough up the pitch to contest balls in the air. In fact they never contest the second ball either so our opponents are always invited to bring the ball down and have a go at us without any real pressure. It's almost like playing with six defenders and asking to be put under immense pressure at times. When we do have the ball neither player steps forward with the ball into midfield to attempt to drive the game forward. They are both happy to offload the ball and not get involved in the attacking play. It's utter rubbish. I watched Liverpool against us a few weeks ago and despite losing the game it was evident when they picked the ball up that a minimum of seven, sometimes eight bodies would go forward. They looked threatening and dare I say it...like a football team who had come with tactics to play football!

Why is it that we always seem to end up with managers at this football club who hate skillful players? A little bit of flair at Newcastle United is loved by the fans but the managers we employ instantly point to these creative players as a scapegoat as soon as something isn't going well and then insist on playing 'hard workers'. For me this is why Cabella didn't succeed and it's why Thauvin isn't going to succeed. Similarly I can see Roland Aarons suffering after early season comments from McClaren tried to cool interest in him being involved in the first team. For some reason managers seem to be under the belief that playing Colback/Anita and serving up a load of long ball bullshit every week is better than playing a 4-4-2 where we get the ball down and play football with two proper skilled wingers on the pitch. I despise this idea of having four defenders with two defensive midfielders playing right in front of them. There is a massive misconception that this is a 'safe' tactic when in fact it's one that prevents you from playing attacking football completely and then relies on you scoring from a corner or a bit of luck. It's horrible football to watch and it seems to be what 90% of teams are playing these days. I'm sure Man Utd fans will agree when I say I want to see attacking football in the Premier League and then perhaps our teams can start winning in Europe again.

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 11:47:09 am »
The worrying thing when you look at our relegation rivals is that they all seem capable for one reason or another of pulling out the relegation zone.

If it comes down to who has the best manager to get you out of a relegation fight how many of us have faith in Steve McClaren.

I'm sorry to say I believe McClaren's days as a top manager/coach are behind him, he just looks outdated and out of touch with the modern day Premier league.

Unless we address that by changing our manager then I believe we are going down. 

Offline Legzy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2015, 07:01:36 pm »
Wow. We had just three predictions for the T4T predictions league this week, but all of us went for a Toon win.
One average performance later, in truly shit playing conditions, where we didn't lose & our team had at least four "unmissable" opportunities compared to their zero... & you're calling for SM's head again!

Forgetting two of the matches were Liverpool & Spurs, seven points from any three games if good going & something to hopefully build some confidence on. As a Toon player, I'd have been a bit pissed by those booing at the end, having put in plenty of effort in a difficult shift. Makes me laugh, I've heard so many comments like 'the team doesn't need to win, I just wan to see the right level of effort being put in'. Seems all those sentiments were being drowned out by the boo's this weekend.

What ticked me off more than the draw, was Cisse getting injured so we probably cant get rid till summer. I did actually laugh when I saw those two starting up front again, that was my biggest disappointment in SM yesterday.

Everton next week, at home & on TV again. They're not a club in a desperate situation, & I think that'll give a better idea than playing Villa, as to where we are. Can we get a win? Hope so, but even with a draw it would be nice to have gone four games unbeaten. I suspect a loss if it happens, will encourage the lack of Xmas spirit at St James'! :D

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 11:28:09 am »
I've been calling for McClaren to go since about August. The two victories against Liverpool and Spurs have given him a leg to stand on and bought him time that I don't think he deserves. His football is diabolical to watch as it consists of the core strategy of kicking the ball through the air to Sissoko to flick it on to nobody in particular over and over again. The formation we play results in Wijnaldum never getting a kick of the ball and playing two defensive midfielders so deep that we never actually have the ball in midfield ourselves. It's neither entertaining nor successful and I pay 42 a month for it.

There are teams in this league that have poorer squads than we do but play at least attempt to play a bit of football. Our brand of kick and rush is giving nothing back.