Author Topic: Sat 26th Dec - Newcastle 0 Everton 1  (Read 1672 times)

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Sat 26th Dec - Newcastle 0 Everton 1
« on: December 25, 2015, 06:26:08 pm »
Let me guess the team then.

Same as last weeks pathetic performance but with Mitrovic in for the injured Cisse

Let me guess the tactics, 4-2-2-1-1 same as last weeks pathetic performance regardless of how we did last week or who is available this week.

Over to Everton ....
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 07:47:28 pm by trophy4toon »

Offline Legzy

• View Profile
Re: Sat 26th Dec - Newcastle v Everton
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2015, 09:00:16 pm »
I think Perez will be back starting again, otherwise agree

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: Sat 26th Dec - Newcastle v Everton
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 03:53:21 pm »
I've decided against going to the match despite the reopening of the Forth Road Bridge up here reducing my expected journey time by about an hour. I've tried to justify not going by throwing out a few reasons such as lack of public transport to get there, difficulty in parking in Newcastle City Centre and the horrible wind/rain weather combination. Reality is that none of the above compares to the fact that the last three games have been kick and rush football with the football bit being at an absolute premium. I'm not prepared for a 7 hour round trip to watch the ball getting booted up in the air time after time. If I want to see that on a weekly basis I'll fork out the 12 to walk along the road and watch Scottish League 2 action instead.

No today I'm going to opt to head to the pub and enjoy/watch the match with a beer.

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Sat 26th Dec - Newcastle 0 Everton 1
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 07:48:22 pm »
Maybe a bit unlucky to lose that as we seemed to dominate the second half.
For me it's still down to the manager.
You could tell McClaren did not know what to do substitution wise in the second half. All his usual easy options were not available. I thought Thauvin was unlucky not to get a starting place but McClaren can't fit him into his rigid tactical plan.
He won't put Thauvin in his natural position of wide left as Wijnaldum is stuck out there. The only place you could put him is behind Mitrovic but Perez was preferred there.
McClaren was close to bringing Thauvin on then for Perez around 65 minutes but Perez then had a good shot and McClaren changes his mind.
That substitution was eventually made with 4 minutes to go. Personally if I was a player brought on with only 4 minutes left I'd be pretty furious.
As such Everton used all their substitutions sensibly and scored in the last minute in a leg draining match.
We didn't effectively use any of our substitutes and conceded in the last minute.
What does that tell you.
Anyway, more points lost today on our relegation rivals, it's not looking good I'm afraid.   

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2015, 08:10:36 pm »
I also wonder what the tactics are with Siem de Jong who started 2 matches when we all wanted Perez to start. But it worked as Perez coming on for him midway through the second half seemed to produce goals as the opposition tired.

But no sight of De Jong in this match. McClaren seems to be singling him out as the man responsible for us not beating Aston Villa.

You would also query why when we have 3 matches in 8 days over a busy Christmas period we didn't use substitutes today and the players were all dead on their feet by the end of the match.

Just no confidence in the team management I'm afraid. 

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2015, 08:26:11 pm »
The usual rubbish for me. First half was awful football and again we could have gone in at the break three or four goals down. I think we created two, maybe three good chances all game. Apparently we had ten shots on goal but only one on target which for me is poor. The one decent chance that we should have scored from fell to Mitrovic and when he didn't convert you knew we weren't scoring today as that would be our only good chance.

It's the same negative football every week where we stack at the back in the hope of not conceding a goal and then stealing one at the other end. We aren't playing football so much as we are trying to make ourselves hard to beat and hoping for mistakes from the opposition late in matches. I dread to think what Sir Bobby Robson would think of the rubbish we are serving up right now.

Offline Legzy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 01:04:12 am »
It is predictable & it's getting hard to remain positive.
More disappointed in this result than failing to win the last one, as this felt like a test against a team that was not fighting for survival & not vastly superior, so I hoped for a result that would show us where we really stand. I fear we've been shown.

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2015, 01:31:17 am »
We aren't playing any attacking football whatsoever mate. I think that's what is getting me down more than anything right now. The whole game plan seems to be to have four at the back and then stack two defensive midfielders on top of that who never leave their positions and hope to hold out the opposition long enough that they pour extra men forward and we can hit them on the break with our four attacking players. We don't play any football at all in the first half of matches. It's very depressing to watch which is why I couldn't be bothered with the drive down yesterday.

I'd be a lot happier if we were creating plenty of chances but not converting them. The answer to that would simply be that we need to find a finisher. But right now the whole system is broken and the manager is still rolling out the lines about being 'unlucky' or 'that's football'. There's also too much talk of 'we gave everything'. To me that is the party line for 'the lads tried hard and ran around a lot' which alarmingly seems to be more important to McClaren than 'the lads playing good football'. It's the trademark of managers who play anti-football. We have become Bolton, Wigan, Sunderland and whoever else you associate with ten men behind the ball and a big kick up the park as their core strategy.

As for January I suspect we won't sign anyone of note. The same problems still persist in that if we signed one decent central midfielder we could punt both Anita and Colback to play him alongside Wijnaldum and finally get Thauvin playing on the left with central midfielders next to him. We won't sign that midfielder and 'safety first Steve' won't drop both Anita/Colback because he'll be shitting himself over the thought of not having six players at the back. Most likely we will get someone cheap who is almost out of contract at a French or Dutch club. He will probably have a patchy injury record but it'll be a bargain and the board can point to the signing they made. We'll also be trying to get another three players 'over the line' but these deals are difficult and there aren't many players out there these days plus we won't want to spend more than 5M on anyone so that'll be that.