Author Topic: Mon 28th Dec - West Brom 1 Newcastle 0  (Read 3156 times)

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
Mon 28th Dec - West Brom 1 Newcastle 0
« on: December 28, 2015, 02:30:38 pm »
Steve McClaren has opted for the same team again today despite the fact that several players looked like they were running on empty at the end of Monday. My guess is that Steve thinks we were 'a bit unlucky' on Monday because we 'worked really hard' therefore he's going to try the same thing again today. Tactics for today will be to play absolutely rotten in the first half with our backs to the wall trying to prevent West Brom from scoring. When we do get the ball we will be looking for the long ball up the right towards Sissoko who will be attempting to flick it on to nobody in particular. At half time we will decide that West Brom must be getting a bit tired now so we'll start trying to play a bit football. At no point whatsoever should Colback or Anita cross the half way line as this might result in a football match breaking out.

Anichebe loves a goal against Newcastle so expect him to skin Coloccini or simply just dominate him in the air for an easy West Brom goal and one nil win.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 04:56:55 pm by CraigDoyle »

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: Mon 28th Dec - West Brom 0 Newcastle 0
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 03:16:07 pm »
Ten minutes in and Newcastle are pinned back inside the penalty area trying to hold the door shut as West Brom look to kick it down. Colocinni cleared off the line in the first few minutes stopping what should have been a certain goal. Wijnaldum and Mitrovic have both made critical last ditch clearances as well whilst Darlow has already been called on to make a pair of great saves.

At the other end Newcastle had Sissoko running through the entire West Brom team only to not shoot when the chance presented itself from the edge of the box resulting in the ball being nicked off his toes. Wijnaldum had a go as I was typing there but couldn't beat the keeper.

Thus far Anichebe looks like the danger man to me. Every ball that comes his way he gets in about, causing chaos among our defenders.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 03:25:53 pm by CraigDoyle »

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 03:19:44 pm »
Now this is interesting. Towering centre half Jonas Olsson is coming off after 17 minutes with an injury. How are our management team reading this change for West Brom? Surely without Olsson the ability of West Brom to defend crosses into the box has now decreased. Will Steve McClaren react to this forced change by looking to get more crosses into the box for Mitrovic? Release the fullbacks to get to the by line and swing in balls to pile the pressure on West Brom? Perhaps consider making a change at half time to bring Thauvin on the left to put more balls into the box to attack?

Probably not.

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 03:28:00 pm »
Anita goes down and he's coming off with an injury now. Tiote is coming on to ensure that we don't get too adventurous and have more than four attacking players on the pitch at once.

I've been disappointed with Mbemba thus far as he has simply been bullied out of every ball by Anichebe. If he can't out muscle the big man then he needs to be putting pressure on him at the very least to try to put him off controlling the ball. Mitrovic is having similar joy at the other end of the pitch.

In a rare shock for the footballing world we are actually trying to play a bit of football.

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 03:30:45 pm »
I fail to understand how Darren Fletcher can stroll into the box and have a free shot at goal. We have two defensive midfielders on the pitch! Where are they? Who are they marking? Dummett blocks what should be a West Brom goal. That was too easy though and is exactly the sort of thing I was watching a few weeks ago against Crystal Palace.

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 03:33:45 pm »
I watched "Brian Clough: I believe in miracles" last night.

It's an amazing film and an amazing story.

Also demonstrates Steve McClaren won't be creating the necessary miracle at nufc

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 03:38:02 pm »
West Brom have critical players in the middle of the park where we have nobody. Darren Fletcher may not be everyone's choice but he has the determination to win every second ball first and it makes a huge difference at this level. The way he pressures and gets a foot on the ball means West Brom retain a lot of possession in a way that we just can't with our complete lack of anyone in central midfield. It allows them to recycle the ball and rebuild their attacks.

Coloccini clears off the line again with a header. Then again he's out to make a block. Siege is on.

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2015, 03:42:19 pm »
It's clear to me that Wijnaldum is completely wasted out in this wide left position. He very rarely gets the ball out there and when he does he isn't naturally inclined to go and put a cross into the box. This guy is an attacking central midfielder and needs to be deployed there.

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2015, 03:49:04 pm »
I would love someone to explain to me what on earth Jack Colback was doing there? First he was rolling about on the floor, then he springs to his feet and gives away a free kick on the edge of the box. There was no real danger and thankfully the freekick was rubbish. I'll be honest I've never seen such a free kick technique. We had five in our wall and West Brom created their own wall next to it with four in it. Bizarre.

Decent first half.

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2015, 04:15:18 pm »
Well we really should have taken the lead there. Good corner, Dummett headed against the underside of the bar and int he scramble Coloccini couldn't knock the ball in. You can see this is a real Tony Pulis side Newcastle are playing against today. Everyone is at least 6'4" and they are fouling non stop at corners. Referees need to be made aware of this. It's absolutely blatant and in breech of the rules but they never seem to take any notice of it.

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2015, 04:21:58 pm »
I speak no Dutch but the commentator seemed to be saying Mitrovic wanted a penalty there. Dummett with another bad cross, it flicked off Perez and run to Mitrovic who tussled with Evans and seemed to get the better of the ex Man U man. As Mitrovic went to pull the trigger though Evans rugby tackles him to the floor. 'Absoluta a penalty' says the man commentating. And let's be honest had that happened anywhere else on the pitch it would be a free kick.

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2015, 04:29:36 pm »
A very good example of what I was talking about earlier regarding Wijnaldum. We have a little spell on the ball, he gets it on the left but he's looking to beat his man and cut inside for a shot only to find he can't get one away and the ball is back with Mbemba. The frustration is that he beat the first man and had the option to put the ball in the box but he just isn't naturally looking to do that and it results in nothing.

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2015, 04:34:38 pm »
Disaster almost self inflicted. Tiote plays a back pass on the volley and it looks short. Coloccini is dithering whilst Anichebe storms in to get to the ball ahead of the advancing Darlow. Anichebe flicks it goalwards then throws himself to the floor theatrically thinking he can con the referee into awarding him a penalty. Apparently despite his protests looking for the penalty he isn't getting booked for that shameful play acting.

Darlow looks shaky to me as well as he shanks a simple back pass out for a corner under no pressure. And it's a goal from the corner! No it isn't. Somehow it has stayed out via the crossbar I think and the magic chip hawkeye thing doesn't indicate that it is a goal. Play on. Anichebe can't believe it. The two follow up attempts to convert seem to have been blocked by West Brom legs.

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2015, 04:35:52 pm »
De Jong replaced Perez five minutes ago but I missed the fact that he came on. He hasn't touched the ball so it doesn't really matter.

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2015, 04:39:21 pm »
And that is game over. Fletcher scores for West Brom with a free header six yards out. There are three men being marked by one of ours at the back post which is outright scandalous defending. Janmaat has his hands on his head looking at Mbemba who was the only man picking up. Darlow probably should have saved the header as it was rubbish.

This match has really summed up where we are. We are not very good. Despite having moments going forward we haven't had any sustained possession of the football and have been continually put under pressure by West Brom. McClaren has no plan b and we'll limp off complaining again about missed opportunities and back luck.