Author Topic: Sat 2nd Jan - Arsenal 1 Newcastle 0  (Read 3047 times)

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Sat 2nd Jan - Arsenal 1 Newcastle 0
« on: January 02, 2016, 09:15:31 am »
So far then a 1 point out of 6 return from our Christmas period when we should have been targeting 4 at least.

After this game probably 1 point out of 9 over Christmas. With our January matches being Man United, West Ham and Watford are we going to see Steve McClaren get concerned.

It's highly likely we'll still be in the bottom 3 at the end of January and likely we'll be even further adrift.

This has been a high scoring fixture the last three seasons. There is only one net you can see the goals flying into today.

Will this be yet another day for Steve McClaren where he is convinced that we played well and deserved something more out of the game ?  
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 05:32:45 pm by trophy4toon »

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: Sat 2nd Jan - Arsenal v Newcastle
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 02:59:40 pm »
Despite two changes the team has that stale stench of a Steve McClaren lineup. Double defensive midfielders, no left wingers and nothing in the center of the park. Hold the door shut for as long as possible and play the big ball to Sissoko's head. It's all very obvious and very easy to overcome.

The lack of understanding from Steve McClaren would be laughable if he were the manager of another club. He doesn't seem to understand that the ultra defensive formation and tactics he deploys results in our downfall week after week. Our back line which is weak at the best of times struggles to cope with the increased pressure of the opposition having so much of the ball in the attacking third. The long ball to Sissoko yields one, perhaps two chances per game putting an immense amount of pressure on our forward players to covert goals from a minimal amount of opportunities. It's hard to determine whether McClaren is blind to what is happening on the pitch or his ego is just so big that he refuses to admit he was wrong and try something different. His post match comments about energy, workrate, luck and whatever else are just buzzwords to mask his own failings as a manager. Newcastle United have become 'easy' and with this fool in charge that will never change.

Arsene Wenger of course is happy to play up to the press that 'it's difficult to change thing at a club within 6 months'. I fully expect every other manager in the league to say the same things in an attempt to keep Steve McClaren in place and ensure an easy three point return against Newcastle. I like Giroud for a goal today as he always gets one against Newcastle. Ozil has become a creative force again and I fancy him to net too. Jack Colback will go wandering (as he does every single week but for some reason it is rarely mentioned) and Ramsey will have plenty of shots on goal so I expect him to score as well. That's at least three. I dread to think how many.

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 03:06:36 pm »
I'm late in joining the stream but as I get in with 1:30 on the clock I see Chamberlain miss a great chance from 12 yards out. Of course neither Tiote nor Colback appear to be picking him up so he's on his own in the penalty area as most of us would expect.

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 03:13:21 pm »
Newcastle with a sustained (a whole minute) period of possession. This consists of passing the ball to the half way line then back to Coloccini, then to the half way line and back to Elliot twice before the famous big ball looking for Mitrovic. Eventually we do get a cross in but it's straight to Peter Cech. That'll probably be our chance for the first half.

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 03:15:15 pm »
Elliot proceeds to kick a goal kick straight out of play for a throw-in. It does make you wonder how this guy can be a professional goalkeeper when he is incapable of kicking a football.

Arsenal with a corner that is cleared by Colback who takes a boot to the face. Unfortunately he gets back up so there's no chance of being forced into a positive substitution. Our zonal marking system at corners looks awful too. Three guys running around the back with only Mbemba 'marking the zone'. I don't understand why we are adopting this strategy.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 03:16:55 pm by CraigDoyle »

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 03:18:29 pm »
Great ball from out on the right. Wijnaldum flicks the header on from a good distance out and Cech scrambles to save. Mitrovic collects the loose ball and tees up Colback who passes back to Cech instead of having a shot.

Now this has to be a booking. Tiote wins the ball from Chamberlain and Perez takes up the play. Chamberlain has a cynical kick at Perez as he goes by but apparently the referee isn't interested. That was intentional and in any variation of the rules is a yellow card.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 03:22:07 pm by CraigDoyle »

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2016, 03:25:21 pm »
You can really see here that all our problems lie in midfield. We have six players back defending but the two defensive midfielders are only a few metres in front of the defenders. It allows the freedom for Arsenal to play little passes in the midfield and get their creative players on the ball running at our back line. We need to be up there making it difficult to play those passes before the pressure starts to build. In the opening 20 minutes we have yet to actually attack from the left or the centre of the pitch. Everything we do that is positive comes down the right and it has become very predictable.

As I type this we attack down the left with Perez and then Tiote and Arsenal look under pressure. What a difference it makes when you utilise both sides of the pitch for attacking play. It actually forces the opposition to defend across the width of the pitch. A revolutionary idea!

Another late challenge from Chamberlain again on Perez. He slides in after the ball is gone and brings Perez down. How many more before he gets booked? A clear example of biased officiating in my opinion. Chamberlain is being awarded the 'England international' advantage of being allowed to get away with challenges that other players would have been booked for.

Corner to Newcastle but typically we kick that straight into the hands of Cech. Arsenal on the counter attack and a great ball to Walcott at the far post. He proves how overrated English players are by failing to control the pass and then after Arsenal keep the attack alive Walcott fails to control a six yard pass as well. I don't fancy buying English players to solve our relegation crisis if this is the quality we are going to get.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 03:33:49 pm by CraigDoyle »

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2016, 03:40:17 pm »
Mitrovic has a run at goal from the half way line. He has a defender to beat and is looking for the pass. The commentator is hounding Mitrovic to pass the ball...but to who? Nobody is there and the attack breaks down.

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2016, 03:47:52 pm »
A much more positive first half than I was expecting but that has mainly been down to how poor Arsenal have been. They haven't really stepped into the spaces left by our midfield so effectively we've had two teams playing rather defensively.

The half ends with an Arsenal free kick into the box which Ozil delivers with a great ball. There's so much pushing and shoving though that nobody bothers to play the ball and it goes for a goal kick. Just enough time for a Newcastle corner but it's the usual garbage that is easily cleared.

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2016, 04:06:21 pm »
Well that's really not good enough. Wijnaldum gets the ball in the penalty area and has all the time in the world to pick his spot. Cech comes out and Wijnaldum just kicks it against him. We need to finish these opportunities.

And another opportunity wasted. Sissoko swings it in to Perez at the back post who squares for Mitrovic. The big man can't sort out his feet though and makes a mess of the chance. We need that striker signed ASAP!

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2016, 04:11:45 pm »
The formation seems to be a little different today. Perez is out on the left and Wijnaldum seems to be playing more centrally. It's working a lot better than having Wijnaldum out left and Perez up front.

Now this is interesting. Colback is fouled and as the ball goes out Sissoko tries to win it and an Arsenal player theatrically falls to the floor looking for a free kick. It's our free kick but surely the referee has to look at that comical play acting and get a card out? Or is it fine again to fall over with your arms out looking to win a free kick and get a player booked?

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2016, 04:22:21 pm »
This is the sort of thing I don't like to see in football. Newcastle win a free kick in the defensive half and Wenger is out arguing with the fourth official. We then win another free kick after a foul in the attacking half and again Wenger is trying to exert influence over the fourth official.

Nothing comes from the attacking free kick. Coloccini is up the park though which is a concern should we lose the ball.

We seem to be driving forward as Mbemba joins the attack. Great ball in from Sissoko to find him but the ball has so much pace on it that he can't direct the header on goal. I can just see the Arsenal goal coming as we get more adventurous then caught at the back by their blistering pace on the counter.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 04:23:59 pm by CraigDoyle »

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2016, 04:31:24 pm »
Typical. We are playing well and it's a fuck up at the back that gives away a goal. Arguably it's the fault of Mbemba. He's watching Koscielny and when the first ball isn't cleared he is caught watching Coloccini jumping for the ball whilst his man runs in behind Perez to win the second ball and score. That's the sort of nonsense goal we give away every single week.

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2016, 04:52:49 pm »
The end result today is the same as it has been the last few matches. We have made a handful of opportunities including at least two good ones to score and yet we have failed to convert. We simply must now look at add a striker in the next few days as we cannot afford to keep blowing points due to missed opportunities. With other clubs taking a look again, surely Charlie Austin has to be worth a punt at almost any money now?

The formation today has been vastly improved with five in the middle as opposed to four. Moving Wijnaldum to central midfield looks to get him involved in the play a lot more. In fact having that balance has meant that almost everyone in midfield played better today. Sissoko saw more of the ball, Perez looked okay out on the left, Tiote had a good game and I was impressed with Thauvin when he came on. I honestly think if we add a proper central midfielder then we will be capable of playing like this regularly and being able to link up our key players to make more chances.

I'm now awaiting McClaren's line in bullshit as he tells us how hard we tried today and that if we stick with the team it'll all work out fine.

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Sat 2nd Jan - Arsenal 1 Newcastle 0
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2016, 11:13:28 pm »
It's taken McClaren a while to work out what us fans worked out weeks ago, that Wijnaldum is totally ineffective wide left but a very good player in his actual position of centre midfield.
Perez did really well out left today. 
But if McClaren had made that change before the Villa match how many points would we have picked up over the Christmas period. As it is, despite being told how well we have played, we've picked up 1 point from 12.
That could cost us at the end of the season.