Author Topic: Sat 2nd Jan - Arsenal 1 Newcastle 0  (Read 2801 times)

Offline Legzy

• View Profile
Re: Sat 2nd Jan - Arsenal 1 Newcastle 0
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2016, 06:21:39 pm »
I didn't get to see much of this one, but it did look pretty positive.
I didn't see anything of Perez on the left, but I'll take your word for his performance.

I saw an interesting comment the other day, apparently De Jong has started just three matches, I think it was said that all three were Toon wins*, is that right? I don't recall seeing a great deal from him, but would certainly like to see him on the pitch instead of one of our holding mids.

*edit - I think it was two wins & the draw?*
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 06:24:54 pm by Legzy »

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2016, 10:59:53 pm »
It was Liverpool, Tottenham and Villa.

De Jong was awful in all three I thought. The goals were scored after he was replaced at Tottenham and he missed a header from three yards out that would have put us 2-0 up against Villa.

For me his problem is that he has a lack of pace and seem to take forever on the ball. We have persisted in playing him in behind a striker but I'm not really sure that's where he will thrive. Our switch to 4-5-1 would definitely be improved by simply ditching Jack Colback and getting another attacking option into midfield.

My personal preference right now would be to see Thauvin on the pitch. Having a proper left winger on the left side would stretch the game and offer a regular threat from both wings. That would possibly mean bringing Perez into the middle alongside Wijnaldum but I think that works so long as they don't both commit to going forward every time.

Offline Legzy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2016, 11:24:02 pm »
Ah yes of course, well remembered. I remember now commenting somewhere  that despite how shocking Cisse & De Jong were, & the goals being scored after them, that they would still start against Villa :D