Author Topic: Sat 9th Jan - Watford 1 Newcastle 0 (FA Cup 3rd Round)  (Read 2561 times)

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Sat 9th Jan - Watford 1 Newcastle 0 (FA Cup 3rd Round)
« on: January 09, 2016, 02:58:03 pm »
Quite bizarre team selection from McClaren today.

He's decided to play a full strength team so he obviously wants to win.

With Colback injured he's replaced him with a defender Mbabu electing to play 3-5-2 .

I suppose it allows Sissoko and Wijnaldum to play a more attacking central position covered on the flanks by Janmaat and Mbabu with Dummett potentially more effective in the centre.

I don't know how it works against modern day 4-5-1 fluid formations with midfielders pouring forward against our 3 static centre backs.

It will be interesting to watch.

Personally I'm disappointed for Thauvin, if he isn't going to get a game in the cup when is he going to play. It brings into question how we handle our players. After signing him for 12 million, you can't really say he's been given a fair chance on the pitch.    

Well Watford have made quite a few changes from their normal team, so lets see

Newcastle : Elliot, Janmaat, Coloccini, Mbemba, Dummett, Mbabu,Sissoko, Tiote, Wijnaldum, Mitrovic, Perez

Subs: Thauvin, Toney, Gouffran, De Jong, Lascelles, Sterry, Darlow
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 04:54:24 pm by trophy4toon »

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Sat 9th Jan - Watford v Newcastle (FA Cup 3rd Round)
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 03:17:15 pm »
Listening to the commentary on Radio Newcastle.

They are discussing the fact that Watford are playing one up front whilst Tiote is playing deep on Coloccini 's toes. So we effectively have 4 central defenders and two full backs. They are discussing the players look very confused at how to play the system and argueing amongst themselves. Wijnaldum and Perez looking at McClaren for guidance. We seem to be playing a 6-0-4 system.

They are also discussing lack of input from the touchline from McClaren and Simpson to tell the players what to do.

Tactical genius from our coaching team then.

See how it settles down.     

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 03:23:06 pm »
They are also commenting on the fact that Perez seems to be playing down the middle with Mitrovic over to the right.

Newcastle playing the ball across the back with 3 players at the back doing absolutely nothing and Tiote constantly giving the ball away.

Whilst Watford sit back looking on.

So not looking like any goals imminent at this stage. 

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 03:28:23 pm »
Great run Sissoko creates a great chance for Perez poorly missed.

We can't afford to miss golden chances

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 03:39:08 pm »
30 minutes in not looking much better.

Mbabu clearly not comfortable pushing forward and Wijnaldum playing very deep. So nothing happening down the left.

So we are basically sitting back deep, passing the ball across the back then having the odd foray down the right through Janmaat and Sissoko. Whilst Watford sit back watching for now.

Tiote gets his customary booking after 30 minutes, danger of sending off there and cutting our defence down from 6 players to 5 

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 03:55:06 pm »
Half time : Watford 1 Newcastle 0

Comedy club defending as our 3 defenders marking Deeney all caught out by a wayward passback and Deeney trots in, rounds Elliot and scores.

This match is there for the taking with Watford making 4 changes and not doing much.

Newcastle have been a shambolic ineffective mess completely disorganised and confused.

Big half time for Steve McClaren. Does he revert to our normal formation. Does he go for it.

My expectations are not high ......

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2016, 04:01:58 pm »
As expected we are 'playing well' but 'unable to convert chances' and have made a 'critical mistake'. In other words we are 1-0 down again.

I can't understand for the life of me why we are playing 5-3-2. Colback, who in my mind is pretty much just another defender, isn't playing so instead of taking the opportunity to be more attack minded we opt to just play three centre halves instead of two? Our football is so negative that it's unbelievable. Sure we see plenty of the ball but we don't see plenty of the ball in attacking positions. When the possession stats come up they will look great but the reality is that possession has been Tiote passing to Mbemba or Coloccini who then play it along the back line.

Why is Thauvin not playing? What does this boy have to do to get a chance in the team for more than twenty minutes? I can't understand the logic in him not playing. We have Sissoko going down the right and nothing going down the left. We looked good at Arsenal last week when we had Perez out on the left but this week we've put him back up front! The only conclusion I can come to is that McClaren is completely inept and cannot see the difference between last week where we played a proper balanced formation and this week where we are back to playing a disjointed one!

Third round exit again which makes McClaren's words about giving it a go in the cups this year seem very hollow.

McClaren out.

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2016, 04:09:10 pm »
Totally agree Craig.

McClaren's response at half time after he has a think about things.

He uses one substitution up doing a like for like replacement of Lascelles for Coloccini.

Presumably Coloccini injured ?

But still playing 3 centre backs but with a new entrant to settle into it, it's looking even worse

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2016, 04:28:24 pm »
For me McClaren's appointment is perhaps the most baffling of recent years after Joe Kinnear. In fact I'd go as far to say as McClaren is as bad as Kinnear. Both were out of date with their methods and living on minor successes from over a decade ago.

His recent record is staggeringly poor which begs the question why anyone would even consider appointing him as manager:

Derby - Led the Championship on 24th February then managed 2 wins from 13 fixtures to completely miss out on the playoffs.
Derby - Reached the play-off final but failed to beat 6th placed QPR who were playing and eventually scored with 10 men.
Twente - Managed only a sixth placed finish in the Dutch League.
Nottingham Forest - Resigned after winning only 8 points from the first 10 games of the season.
Wolfsburg - Lasted to Christmas before getting a 'vote of confidence' but was sent packing at the beginning of February after more poor results.

Now we have to consider that Wolfsburg was the middle of 2010 so technically McClaren has been shit for over five years now. That's not the sort of record you look for in a manager surely?

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2016, 04:36:22 pm »
McClaren being totally out thought tactically here by Sanchez Flores.

As Newcastle need to press forward he brings on a fresh Ighalo ready to knock some chances in as we allegedly push forward.

I'm expecting McClaren to respond here by bringing on another defender and settle for another unlucky 1-0 defeat.

The Newcastle fans seem to be chanting "we want our money back"

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2016, 04:38:10 pm »
How many bad results does it take for McClaren to go? This will be the fourth successive 1-0 loss. Let's be honest whether you lose 1-0 or 6-0 makes no real difference as you put no points on the board or in the case of today you end up out of the competition.

For me McClaren has two matches after this to secure a win otherwise it's 'bye bye Steve'. Our next fixtures are at home to Man Utd and West Ham. Draws are no good, we need at least one win from those two fixtures. I can't see us beating either side though as we don't score goals and despite the transfer window having been open since Monday we haven't shown any intention of signing anyone.

I wonder if Mike Ashley is starting to get twitchy regarding McClaren's position. Season ticket renewals are coming up next month and I can see a lot of supporters being in the same boat as me where they hit the 'cancel' button following uninspiring signings and a manager in charge who is incapable of generating success or positive football.

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2016, 04:47:09 pm »
I find it comical that the Watford commentators are talking up needing another goal to 'kill the game off'. Newcastle could play until midnight and not score. It has been over 400 minutes since Newcastle last scored a goal. The way we play it could easily be another 400 before we see one.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 04:49:06 pm by CraigDoyle »

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2016, 04:51:50 pm »
I think what worries me most is that I don't even react with the slightest hint of anger or frustration anymore. I've been ground down to the point where I just shrug my shoulders having expected outright rubbish.

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2016, 04:53:29 pm »
The only way to summarise that very winnable match against an understrength Watford:

MCCLAREN OUT