Author Topic: Australian Open 2016  (Read 3727 times)

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Australian Open 2016
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2016, 01:06:26 pm »
The Keys v Zhang match is one of the most ridiculous I've ever seen.

Keys is so injured she can barely walk.

Zang has got so nervous at the thought of getting to the quarter finals that she can't hit the ball in. Currently a ridiculous 3-3 final set

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2016, 01:59:31 pm »
Bernard Tomic is the most bizarre player I've ever seen. I haven't had the privilege of watching him live yet but I can only imagine how frustrating he would be to sit and watch for two hours. He spent most of the match ambling around the back of the court playing little slices and scoop returns down the middle hoping that Murray would miss. Then come the third set when he was already two sets down he started to play brilliant attacking tennis! Why on earth if he has that ability does he not just come out playing that kind of tennis from the start?

I also had the misfortune of watching the final set of Keys vs Zhang which turned into a comedy sideshow. Konta should dismiss Zhang with relative ease I think as even if the Chinese player establishes a lead she will freeze up before closing the match out. Konta has the icy look about her that makes me think the prospect of beating her opponent won't be an issue at all. She's heading for the top thirty as it is but another win and I think she'll be moving into the top 25. With plenty of hard court tournaments coming up she could be a top twenty player before we even reach the clay.

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2016, 07:19:32 am »
Johanna Konta eased through her quarter-final against Zhang in straight sets. The Chinese player really only had one little spell of resistance as Konta couldn't get the first set over the line at the first time of asking. Konta will play Kerber next who stunned Azarenka. The German has been playing great consistent tennis the last six months and will be a huge test for Konta.

Andy Murray is currently engaging David Ferrer in a fourth set leading 2-1. Ferrer is a hugely frustrating opponent as he runs down almost every ball forcing Murray to hit big time after time. Murray really should have taken the second set missing two easy balls to waste two break points at 4-4 before losing the set on a tie break. The physicality has been ridiculous with rally after rally going 20 shots or more.

A terrible line call has just cost Andy a vital break but he has won the replayed point leading 4-2.

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2016, 07:51:26 am »
Strong finish from Murray to see Ferrer out. Played a lot better all round today than against the spoiler, Tomic.

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2016, 09:10:12 am »
From the early going of Raonic vs Monfils I have to say that I fully expect Murray to play Raonic in the semi-finals. The big Canadian has vastly improved his game so that he is no longer reliant on his serve and forehand combinations. Monfils by contrast is still the same players I've been watching for years. He has absolutely everything to be a Grand Slam champion apart from the correct mentality. He's too eager to showboat with flashy shots for the highlights reel as opposed to playing regulation textbook tennis shots. Murray and Raonic are tied 3-3 in their head to head which should make this next match an intriguing one.

There have been claims about the court being quicker here than before but from what I saw this morning I doubt that. Ferrer was getting to every ball, even when Murray was hitting big with his ground strokes so I would definitely suggest that the courts favour defenders over aggressive hitters. Looks like a lock-on for a Djokovic win again to me.

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2016, 03:48:21 am »
Well I'm up and awake at 3:00 am. It's tough following this Australian Open.

Currently watching Serene Williams destroy Agnieszka Radwańska, I hope it's not intimidating Johanna Konta and Angelique Kerber watching the futility of the Radwanska performance.

How will Konta do in her first grand slam semi final ?

I've watched Konta's rapid rise from obscurity to this with great interest over the last 9 months, it's been quite remarkable. Her reputation has been of a very talented player who was mentally fragile and famous for dismantling herself during matches such that she had her LTA funding withdrawn.

Losing the LTA support seems to have made all the difference as she has gone out and set up her own coaching team.

She seems to have become a strongly focused individual playing her matches in an almost hypnotic state of concentration with clear game plans carried out to the letter.

I was surprised how intimidated Ekaterina Makarova seemed to be when she came up against Konta. Makarova was clearly the better stronger player yet from the start seemed over anxious and over hitting to the extent that Konta eventually ground her down.

I detected a slight crack in the Konta hypnosis in the Zhang quarter final when she started flipping at the thought of closing out the first set. Back to old ways temporarily.

So a fascinating match just about to start. Makarova was ranked 24 and outclassed Konta at times. Kerber is ranked a lot higher at number 6 and in great form having just beaten Azarenka. So unlikely to be intimidated by Konta. But Konta has all the shots and all the attributes and unlike a lot of the women on tour seems to consistently produce the goods match after match at the moment.

Come on Joanna !!! The thought of a British player in both the ladies and men's final at the Australian Open seems just too much to hope for.              
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 04:02:22 am by trophy4toon »

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2016, 03:59:11 am »
aha, as Serena Williams has just pointed out, such is the rapid rise of Joanna Konta that none of the top players have played against her before so it's a bit of an unknown.

Neither Williams or Kerber have played Konta before, so Joanna does have the element of the surprise unknown in her favour.   

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2016, 04:54:17 am »
This commentary on the Konta match is driving me mad. I've noticed the same when Andy Murray plays. It says everything to me about what is wrong with British tennis at elite level and how the heads of our young players must get minced before they get anywhere near the top 100.

You get the arrogance and complacency and celebration after a couple of good shots. Then the acerbic, destructive despondency every time your plan hits a setback. It sets up a roller coaster which must destroy the minds of our young players.

Fortunately Murray and Konta have got themselves out of the LTA set up and are mentally tough enough not to take any notice.

Give me the John McEnroe approach any day. Cold unemotional analysis of what is happening, what is going on and what is needed to overcome the problems.

I'm trying to hang in here and keep behind Konta despite the commentary team making me feel suicidal.

Konta 5-4 up first set. Come on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!        
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 04:56:32 am by trophy4toon »

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2016, 11:13:50 am »
No final for Johanna Konta but I thought she played pretty well and just lost out to a player who has many years of experience playing in the top ten of the WTA tour. A great effort from Johanna that she can add to her fantastic performance at the US Open. She will move into the top 30 on the WTA tour on Monday morning. Her aim now should be to try to consolidate her new ranking and start winning against other players around her with regularity. She needs to set the goals of reaching the second week at Roland Garros and Wimbledon then come the summer we will have a more true reflection of how good she really is. Hopefully by the end of Wimbledon she will be in and around the top 20. Her new ranking should also allow her to get into the big WTA events in Indian Wells, Miami, Stuttgart, Madrid, Rome etc where she can pick up bigger ranking points and face better opponents every week. Welcome to the big end of the tour Johanna.

Djokovic has just absolutely dominated Federer in the men's semi final. Three sets to one but it never really looked like Federer would win the match. Looks a dead cert to win the tournament to me.

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2016, 10:54:13 pm »
Well that was a tremendous battle this morning between Andy Murray and Milos Raonic. I actually though other than the first service game of the match that Murray played great tennis. Raonic with his very simple game of hit a huge serve and if it comes back batter a forehand away was able to prevent Murray from getting into many rallies early on but Murray stuck in there well and was rewarded for his patience as Raonic's body eventually ran out of gas in the fourth set. A lot of people feel that Raonic would have won if he had stayed healthy but being honest Andy hadn't lost serve since the first game of the match and was starting to find his way into more and more service games as the match went on. A fantastic four hours of entertainment.

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2016, 05:59:15 pm »
Apart from the first set I didn't think there was much between Murray and Djokovic today. He looked a bit mentally worn out at the end with the off court pressures of wife with imminent baby and father in law taken ill.

Looked like he just wanted to get home as soon as possible.

A great 2 weeks tennis and a great example of what an honorable sport tennis is. Great friendship between the players, great respect for each other and matches so incredibly close.

So yes, really enjoyed the Australian Open this year.