Author Topic: Sat 23rd Jan - Watford 2 Newcastle 1  (Read 1703 times)

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Sat 23rd Jan - Watford 2 Newcastle 1
« on: January 23, 2016, 02:57:09 pm »
What is it with our squad players that as soon as a regular first team player gets injured there is no one fit to come in for him. Dummet injured today, where is Mbabu ?

Steven Taylor rushed back onto the bench from injury, how long will he stay fit one wonders.

I see Thauvin is back on the bench, last I'd heard he'd gone back to Marseilles but apparently we won't loan him back and they can't afford to buy him. Meanwhile he has started just 3 matches all season, McClaren has no confidence in him and he's back sitting on the bench whilst Aarons is given his first start of the season.

It all seems such a mess but an interesting team out today, lets see how it goes.  

Newcastle United (4-4-1-1): Rob Elliot; Daryl Janmaat, Jamaal Lascelles, Fabricio Coloccini (c), Chancel Mbemba; Moussa Sissoko, Henri Saivet, Jonjo Shelvey, Rolando Aarons; Georginio Wijnaldum; Aleksandar Mitrovic
Substitutes: Karl Darlow, Steven Taylor, Sylvain Marveaux, Yoan Gouffran, Florian Thauvin, Ayoze Perez, Emmanuel Riviere
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 07:10:39 pm by trophy4toon »

Offline Tooncelona

• View Profile
Re: Sat 23rd Jan - Watford v Newcastle
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 03:05:21 pm »
Mbabu is injured apparently t4t (yes another one)!

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 04:51:40 pm »
88th minute of shame
Which is the worst thing here:

- with 2 minutes to go McClaren turns to Riviere to rescue the game in 120 seconds, the man who has scored 1 previous scuffed premier league goal, inspired substitution from McClaren

- the captains armband is handed from Coloccini as he goes off to that player with the biggest heart, yes believe it or not Sissoko

- Charlie Austin comes on as a sub for his debut and grabs the winner for Southampton at Man United.

Over to you Riviere then .....

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 05:23:18 pm »
Given how badly Villa and Sunderland and Newcastle have been managed for the last few years it's hard to argue that all three of us deserve to go down.

Allardyce might somehow dig Sunderland out of their mess but it's already too late for Villa and I've no confidence in Steve McClaren having a clue how to get us out of this situation regardless of who we sign in the transfer window

New manager/owner/chief exec needed 

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 07:10:09 pm »
If you look at this from the view of three players in our squad:

Thauvin
Rarely given a chance by McClaren since September other than getting thrown on with a few minutes to go each week, tries to go back to Marseilles but the clubs can't agree a deal. So he is put on the bench today and watches Aarons, Gouffran, Riviere all put on the pitch whilst he sits watching the full 90 minutes. Personally he must be quite sick of it and just wants to go somewhere else

Aarons
Was a promising young player two seasons ago but has been injured ever since. In a difficult away match with a load of senior pro's on the bench he gets chosen out of the blue to start the game without any previous appearances on the bench or as substitute. General view was he was way off pace, didn't track back and missed a good chance after 3 minutes. Then gets substituted after 59 minutes for Gouffran of all people. How must he be feeling

Riviere
After being out injured for 6 months and being branded one of the biggest flops of Graham Carr's reign, having mustered one miskicked goal in his first season as a centre forward. His first appearance on the subs bench see's him put on the pitch with 2 minutes to go. Then by a miracle he gets a chance to score a header and completely messes it up and it's immediately back to Riviere is hopeless. He must already be wishing he was somewhere else    

Then the whole playing too deep thing. We as fans see it every week yet nothing is done about it. At times today we were playing 3-6-1 with Mitrovic marooned up front on his own. Now he's being criticised for not being good enough despite him having no support up front. His confidence must be being effected by this too, you can see that in the number of chances he is missing.

It's just all terrible management of the team and the game. Any player would be mad to come to Newcastle with McClaren in charge of this mess.

Newcastle United (3-4-2-1): Rob Elliot; Jamaal Lascelles, Fabricio Coloccini (c) (Emmanuel Riviere 88), Chancel Mbemba; Daryl Janmaat, Henri Saivet (Ayoze Perez 59), Jonjo Shelvey, Rolando Aarons (Yoan Gouffran 59); Moussa Sissoko, Georginio Wijnaldum; Aleksandar Mitrovic

Subs not used: Karl Darlow, Steven Taylor, Sylvain Marveaux, Florian Thauvin

Offline Legzy

• View Profile
Re: Sat 23rd Jan - Watford 2 Newcastle 1
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 09:30:42 am »
Having watched the match, I decided to also watch it on match of the day, it amused me to see no mention of their first goal being off side or any glimpse of the three dives Watford took looking for a free penalty. The whole match was presented as a comfortable Watford win, rounded of by the pundit saying something like "I've not really got any interest or paid Newcastle any attention this season".... Nice comment.

A fair few of our guys didn't perform so well this week, but again there were chances made but not taken. I agree with what John said about Aaron's, but I guess we were desperate on the left without even Colback as emergency left back cover, hence the formation change again (I'd hate to think it was just because we were up against Watford again). Was Wijnaldum too high up the pitch, so slightly less involved & we missed his runs from deep, maybe just me :-\

On a side note, 4m Austin scoring, it is a shame that he wasn't destined to come here. I almost wonder if it would have helped Mitrovic to be the 2nd choice striker for a year while he's so young & gets used to the prem. Again plenty of good stuff from him, & he didn't half get clattered by their CB's a few times (what's that, that wasn't shown on match of the day either....)

Thauvin could do with a start or three, just to have a go. I'm sure Shelby could find him out wide in space regularly & even if he did little, it could open up the other team for space to exploit.