Author Topic: The relegation battle - who's going down  (Read 2236 times)

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The relegation battle - who's going down
« on: January 24, 2016, 05:14:34 pm »
I love watching the big games like I am now sitting watching Arsenal and Chelsea battle it out at the Emirates Stadium. It makes me sad to think Newcastle were recently one of those big teams when we had Keegan and Robson as our managers.

Now, since Mike Ashley arrived we have to aspire to be average mid table and the last two seasons we can't even manage that.

My opinion on who gets relegated has not really changed much since the first few weeks of the season and it's down to five teams. The manager is important in these tense times and when you look at the managers involved in this years relegation battle it's an interesting list:

Bournemouth - Eddie Howe
Norwich - Alex Neil
Newcastle - Steve McClaren
Sunderland - Sam Allardyce
Aston Villa - Remi Guarde     

There's only one buffoon in that list and unfortunately it's our manager.

I've been impressed with Remi Guarde since he arrived at Villa but they just have too much to do. To get 40 points they need to win 9 of their remaining 15 matches. It's just not going to happen.

Which leaves 2 places to fight for. Allardyce has never been relegated but his squad are poor. Alex Neil and Eddie Howe are quite inexperienced but very promising young managers but both have small squads. So a few more injuries could see them in further trouble.

For Newcastle we need to somehow win 7 of our remaining 15 matches and you do wonder just how we are going to do that when we can't seem to play away from home.

Here are our 7 easiest matches remaining which if we won would get us to 40 points:
West Brom H
Bournemouth H
Sunderland H
Norwich A
Swansea H
Crystal Palace H
Villa A

So actually yes, it's just about doable. So no excuses from Steve McClaren now, it's time to win matches 

Offline Legzy

• View Profile
Re: The relegation battle - who's going down
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 05:15:00 pm »
There's only one buffoon in that list and unfortunately it's our manager.
:D :D :D

The good news is, if we get the 40 points, we'll have the buffoon to enjoy next season too :D

Anyway, I think we'll be fine survive.

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 12:41:58 pm »
Today's the day.

Newcastle v West Brom, the first of our must win matches to get to 40 points.

If McClaren loses this ....... ?

Offline Legzy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 05:36:35 pm »
People are saying that we need to win 50% of our remaining matches to stay up! but that's only if the teams nearest us also win 50% of their games to get past that "magic 40 points".
I personally don't think teams will need 40 to survive this year but I do think we are more than capable of winning 5 of our last 13 to get there.

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 12:14:00 pm »
I think Newcastle United needs to focus on Newcastle United and not the affairs of other teams. To me it is of the utmost importance that we not only continue our home form against the weaker teams we have coming up but take that form on the road with us. McClaren needs to find a settled starting eleven that is effective and not going to get blown off the park at places like Villa or Norwich.

Offline Legzy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 06:31:12 pm »
Let me rephrase, I don't think Newcastle will need 40 points to survive this season, but I think think that we are more than capable of picking up the 5 wins we need to get there.
As you say Craig, home form is looking more like it should (only 1 loss in 6 I think), would be nice to start seeing some points on our travels, no reason this weekend couldn't go our way, couple of the guys might even put in an extra shift as it's against Chelsea!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 06:33:02 pm by Legzy »

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 01:24:00 am »
Well I think we could win any given week against any opposition. We make enough chances but don't take them. That's still the big concern.

Offline Tooncelona

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2016, 09:17:33 am »
In my humble opinion I think we'll scrape enough point to survive, as will Sunderland. I can see West Brom getting drawn into it. I thought they were poor against us last week and were second best in the cup against Peterborough.

For what it's worth think the three to go down will be Villa, Norwich and West Brom (fingers crossed)!

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2016, 04:19:09 am »
Oops, getting to 40 points just got harder with the home loss to Bournemouth.
Here was the original list:
West Brom H
Bournemouth H
Sunderland H
Norwich A
Swansea H
Crystal Palace H
Villa A

Now we need 16 points from the remaining 10 matches to do this:
Here are our 5 easiest matches remaining which we need to win :

Sunderland H
Norwich A
Swansea H
Crystal Palace H
Villa A

plus a draw at Southampton or a home draw with Tottenham as the last match of the season.

So it's all still doable.

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2016, 04:46:33 pm »
I genuinely think Newcastle are gone. The decision to push McClaren out the door came weeks, if not months, too late. We have let things dwindle to the point that we are reliant on results elsewhere and other teams helping us out instead of being proactive and shaping our own future.

But that's really been the story of Newcastle United the last few seasons. Reactive management both at board and pitch level has once again proven to be a dreadful strategy with last ditch transfers and manager changes showing a real lack of vision. You look at well run clubs and the way that they are proactive in everything they are doing from lining up their next transfers in advance and employing managers who can read the game and make changes in play to influence matches.

There are policies and ideas in place regarding the running of the football club that simply hinders progress. The thought that every player recruited has to adhere to an 'under-26 plus sell-on value' clause results in a situation where the club has lacked experience and leadership qualities in key positions on the pitch for several seasons.

The appointment of Benitez as manager looks to be something of a change to policy but it's all too late. With Benitez clearly on a deal where he'll only remain in charge should he do the almost unthinkable and save the club from relegation I can only wonder what the next disaster will be come the summer when Benitez disappears, half the players depart and we are still faced with watching Jack Colback every weekend.

I may be wrong and perhaps a miracle will occur but with nine games to go I'm saying pretty much what I said when only nine games had been played.

Offline mrmalaki

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2016, 04:54:56 pm »
So now that we are gone what will our squad look like next year? Here's my guess:

Manager: Heaven only knows, surely Rafa will take the option to leave that is in his contract? If not surely Ashley will terminate due to his wage? So will we finally go after David Moyes? Harry Redknapp? A surprise Glenn Hoddle?

GK: Elliot and Darlow will remain as #1 and understudy.
Leaving: Krul to Arsenal I reckon.

Def: Mbemba, Lascelles, Dummet, Haidara - Mbabu and Good and Sterry as back up SIGNINGS NEEDED.
Leaving: Janmaat to Man U, Taylor free, Colo To Argentina.

Mid: Shelvey, Saivet, Aarons, Townsend - De Jong, Thauvin, Colback, Anita and Bigirimana also remain.
Leaving: Cabella (to Marseille) , Wijnaldum (to Liverpool), Tiote (to China), Marveaux, Ameobi, Vuckick and Obertan to anywhere.

FWD: Mitrovic & Armstrong. Riviere and Toney as back up.
Leaving: Perez (to Atletico), Cisse (to Turkey).

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2016, 01:49:50 pm »
I don't like relying on the results of other teams and for the most part I've been telling those I go to the match with that we simply have to mind our own business on the park and not concern ourselves with the affairs of others.

Regardless of our fate I would like to acknowledge the huge impression that Benitez has made on the team. We are not playing champagne football, in fact we aren't playing 'good' football but he has taken the rubbish we have given him and transformed it into a team that can put points on the board even when playing terrible to the point that we look completely out of a match. This for me is exactly what you get when you hire a good manager. He finds a way to deploy the assets he has effectively in order to keep chipping away at the league table by getting points where a few months ago under Steve McClaren you would have written those fixtures off.

It's clear to me exactly what Benitez has done. He's looked at the commitment of particular players and regardless of ability he has exiled those he feels have been having a negative impact on the squad. I don't for a second believe Coloccini is still out with a calf injury. Steven Taylor has also vanished off the scene again very quickly and after comments to the press about playing for a 'big club' to 'save his career' it's no surprise that Daryl Janmaat is in the category of having 'no return date'. Interestingly Benitez is going to leave a mark on the club next season regardless of whether he stays in charge or not. Obertan and Marveaux have been shown the door as they are out of contract shortly and I suspect Steven Taylor will also be heading that way soon.

Removing certain players from the team has allowed others to thrive though. Jamall Lascelles looks more like a Premier League standard centre back every week. Playing under McClaren and back out on loan at Forest I honestly thought we had signed the next Titus Bramble. Along the same lines I had heard murmurs that Karl Darlow wasn't good enough but just like Rob Elliot before him he has made some big saves and proved his worth to the club.

I'm not a huge fan of any of our midfielders but it is clear to me that Andros Townsend is a special talent that really should be at a bigger club. His ability to conjure a goal or an assist from little to nothing is a rare gift that has been missing from these parts since Pardew got rid of Hatem Ben Arfa. While not as technically gifted as the Frenchman I can see the same willingness to run with the ball in Townsend. He's going to frustrate people by not passing the ball and losing it but he'll then delight them by cracking in a goal from 25 yards or laying one on for a striker. I was not happy when we spent big money to bring him here but clearly I have been proved wrong and he is a much bigger asset to the team than I could ever have imagined.

The only thing I don't understand with Benitez is why he persists with Cisse up top. As a lone striker he rarely wins the ball and simply never hangs on to it. His first touch is pretty much the same as mine. Even if the ball is passed to him along the ground his second touch will be with his chest or his shoulder. It's like watching Ameobi again. I can't understand why we are playing him when we have Mitrovic. The big man is going to win more balls in the air, be able to hold up the play and at this stage I honestly don't think he's a worse finisher than Cisse is. I'd go as far as to say that we are awful in the first 45 minutes of every match because we have Cisse up there. I think we'd see a lot more of the ball with Mitrovic up top.

Offline Legzy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2016, 04:58:26 pm »
I think Cisse is on for the start of every match to run around a lot, get the defenders used to a certain kind of forward as they tire somewhat, then bring on a fresh Mitrovic, giving him an advantage over the defenders.
Mitro is class; Iíve said it on here since he started. Fantastic touch & all round contribution to the team. I have zero doubt that the goals (other people needed to see from him already) will come.

Meanwhile regards Lascelles after a poor showing from him
I think he shows much promise but currently is young & it's all about untapped potential. If this guy gets the right amount of pitch time, he'll be a top player for years to come hopefully.
Seems he's started  ;D ;D ;D