Author Topic: Sat 6th Feb - Newcastle 1 West Brom 0  (Read 1921 times)

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
Sat 6th Feb - Newcastle 1 West Brom 0
« on: February 06, 2016, 12:20:17 am »
Somehow despite the transfer window just closing we have a defensive crisis on our hands as Coloccini is the only centre half available to us. Mbemba has an ankle injury the will keep him out for a month, clown Lascelles is now suspended after his foolish sending off at Everton and Dummett is still crocked. Nevermind all that though Steven Taylor has declared himself fit to play! Yes, the guy who spends 3/4s of his time at the club in the treatment room feels like he could play a match for the club again. I'm sure we all can't wait to see the famous Coloccini/Taylor partnership at the back again.

Kevin Mbabu may also be fit so we may actually have a left back.

The problem is that Steve McClaren continues to make confusing and outrageous team selection decisions that leave me and everyone else utterly bewildered. I could swear at Everton the other night both Sissoko and Townsend were playing right wing. What we are likely to see is an absolute lottery. There is no balanced formation, no system of play, no obvious tactical approach and all I can think is that he puts the players out there hoping for the best.

If I'm honest I just want to see us play 4-4-2. Not some weird lop-sided hybrid formation that changes depending on which way the wind blows or whether it's raining or not.

Elliot
Janmaat Taylor Coloccini Mbabu
Townsend Shelvey Sissoko Aarons
Doumbia Mitrovic

Balls into the box for the strikers to attack. Let's go and score goals!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 05:27:01 pm by trophy4toon »

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Sat 6th Feb - Newcastle vs West Brom
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 02:45:02 pm »
More rather strange team selection from McClaren today.

Poor old youngster Rolondo Aarons continues his conversion from an exciting left sided attacking player into being a full back, he's left back.

After signing Saivet he's now dumped on the bench with Tiote who spent the whole transfer window trying to leave now re-instated into the team.

Townsend I thought was a right winger ? No matter, he is out on the left.

Mitrovic having been unexpectedly dumped out the team on Wednesday is now re-instated.

Perez, having been surprisingly selected out of position as the target man in midweek was substituted and now dumped on the bench.

Despite random changes to the forward line, the main striker we signed in the January window to solve our goalscoring problem is again not selected.

Well there must be some logic to McClaren's team selection, but I can't see it.

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: Sat 6th Feb - Newcastle vs West Brom
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 05:07:08 pm »
Bizarrely Tiote was probably the best player on the pitch today.

Very concerned we aren't taking chances. Sissoko, Mitrovic, Wijnaldum all had multiple opportunities to put us out of sight. Clearly Doumbia is rubbish if he can't get a game ahead of any of these guys.

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Sat 6th Feb - Newcastle 1 West Brom 0
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 01:16:37 pm »
It looks to me that having spent 82 million in the last 6 months Mike Ashley has acquired just enough quality players to keep us in the league despite having a muppet as a manger.

A better more cost efficient model for Ashley would have been to hire a good manager then he would have not had to spend so much on the players to secure mid table mediocrity.

McClaren seemed to make some very strange team selections yesterday but to be fair to him and the players they came out pumped up and convincingly beat a very poor West brom team.

For once the opposition made us look like Barcelona rather the other way round.

On Mitrovic, I think our fans are too hard on him. He is not a goalscoring centre forward in the Alan Shearer mode. Our fans have to move on from that. What he is is a great link up man, a big presence in the box to intimidate centre halves and a great out ball to hold up play when under pressure. The onus on goal scoring has to be spread through the team.

As Craig says, collectively as a team we need to take our chances, don't just blame Mitrovic. For me Mitrovic would be one of the first names on the team sheet, I was astonished when McClaren left him out at Everton in midweek.

Anyway, good performance, we now have hope again

Offline Legzy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 05:54:19 pm »
On Mitrovic, I think our fans are too hard on him. He is not a goalscoring centre forward in the Alan Shearer mode. Our fans have to move on from that. What he is is a great link up man, a big presence in the box to intimidate centre halves and a great out ball to hold up play when under pressure. The onus on goal scoring has to be spread through the team.

As Craig says, collectively as a team we need to take our chances, don't just blame Mitrovic. For me Mitrovic would be one of the first names on the team sheet, I was astonished when McClaren left him out at Everton in midweek   
I think Shelvey & Mitro are fantastic for the team.
Shelvey's passing yesterday was a joy, Mitro's link up/hold up play is always as good as any player I can remember us ever having. I think more goals will come from him next season.

clown Lascelles
I think that's really harsh, I think he shows much promise but currently is young & it's all about untapped potential. If this guy gets the right amount of pitch time, he'll be a top player for years to come hopefully.
While Aaron's needs to man up, imagine he's Lauren Robert & NEVER enter our half of the pitch. The boy is a complete liability & was half an inch from giving away another pen yesterday, plus some other stupid challenges/choices. Note to Steve, get him the fuck out of our half! While he did again show a couple of glimpses of class attacking again, such was our dominance. 

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 11:25:49 pm »
The Lascelles comment was in regard to his stupidity in getting himself sent off. His first booking looked like it was for dissent but perhaps it wasn't?

I still rate Tiote as one of the best players at this football club and I believe he has been since he arrived. When played alongside the right player in the middle of the park he goes about his business protecting the back four and winning the ball back time after time. When paired with the wrong partner, ie Colback, Anita or anyone else defensive minded, they tend to get in his way and he has no creative outlet next to him to give the ball to. I think a lot of the criticism leveled at him the last two seasons has been pretty harsh. We never recruited a Cabaye replacement which effectively meant Tiote was having to do things that are not in his core skill set. Now that we have Shelvey in there to move the ball forward it is clear that Tiote can continue to go about his business and focus on what he's good at just like he did when we had Cabaye next to him. For me it's Shelvey and Tiote in the middle of the park with the other however many midfielders we have taking places on the bench.

I don't blame Aarons at all. He's a left winger or a left sided forward in a three. He's not a full back and this McClaren idea that if he deploys him there then he'll get better defensively is just rubbish. Aarons should be seen as our version of Sterling and deployed as such. Of course had we not let Santon go for nothing then we'd have a left back...

While I'm being controversial here is another suggestion: replace Wijnaldum with Doumbia. Mitrovic isn't a goalscorer but is essential to the team in my opinion. But you can't have Mitrovic and play just the one up front. Wijnaldum barely kicks the ball all match and you never notice he's on the park unless he scores. I don't think 'second striker' is the right position for him so we may as well actually have a goal scoring striker on. Let's see if Doumbia has goals in him.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 11:27:31 pm by CraigDoyle »