Author Topic: Wed 02 Mar - Stoke 1 Newcastle 0  (Read 1117 times)

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
Wed 02 Mar - Stoke 1 Newcastle 0
« on: March 02, 2016, 08:23:09 pm »
It's evident to me from watching just ten minutes of the match that Wijnaldum and Mitrovic is not a pairing up front. There is absolutely no interplay between the players with Wijnaldum on completely a different wavelength to Mitrovic. Surely the idea is that Mitrovic wins the ball in the air and Wijnaldum gambles on winning the second ball? From what I can see he just stands there looking to see what's going to develop as opposed to trying to make something happen for himself.

Colback is also rubbish. I've no idea what he brings to the party. He doesn't win the second ball and is physically too small to play defensive midfield. He's one booking away from a two game ban. I hope he gets booked.

Our midfield still has the same problem it had prior to the January transfer window in that it just can't control the football match. It's back to the old Nicky Butt style hot potato football where players just don't appear to want to be on the ball. Shelvey is a clear upgrade to me but for some reason Gouffran has been deployed in there and he is as ineffective as ever. Somehow we have come back from the Spain trip and despite the injuries we now consider Gouffran to be among our best eleven fit players?! Yet Perez, Doumbia and the attacking winger Aarons are all on the bench.

I can see where this is going. We are playing for a draw and will lose 1-0.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 09:27:25 pm by CraigDoyle »

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: Wed 02 Mar - Stoke 1 Newcastle 0
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 09:31:06 pm »
Stoke lead and it's to the surprise of absolutely nobody but Newcastle's piss poor manager Steve McClaren. Shaqiri allowed to shoot from the edge of the box after Colback jumps out of a tackle and typically he scores.

Let's analysis what McClaren has done in this game. Gouffran got injured so on came Riviere. Every time the ball comes near him he trips over it or it hits his heel and bounces away. He can't even control the ball! Now with ten minutes left we are desperately throwing on all our attacking options which are Doumbia (hasn't played at this level before) and Perez. They'll get a whole ten minutes before being consigned to the bench again at the weekend.

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 09:36:51 pm »
Outright ridiculous stoppage time save from Butland to stop what looked like Doumbia. The striker didn't do much wrong to be fair, the save was just quality. Arnautivic off the cross bar on the volley to end the match.

Let's be honest though we have been served up the same shit we have all season.

MCCLAREN OUT.

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 12:39:07 am »
Thanks Craig for summoning the energy to comment on that.
I loved your prediction after 10 minutes which was absolutely correct.
Steve mcClaren in his post match interview claimed the fantastic jack buckland cost us a deserved point.
Hmmmm, nothing to do with the bizarre, unfathomable team selection, tactics and substitutions then ....
How many times do we have known to say this
McClaren out

Thing is if mcClaren does get sacked, which I admit is unlikely, it's going to be a long time before he gets another job in football. Like our team, he's dead in the water.

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 12:39:05 pm »
To be frank John I'm pretty disgusted and disillusioned by it all. It has been plain to see from the first month of the season that McClaren offered nothing but relegation. His stale tactics on the pitch have never changed with 4-5-1 away from home resulting in either a hiding or a 1-0 loss. The audacity that he has to stand in the past match interviews and gloss over terrible performances is simply ignorance to my eyes.