Author Topic: Who will replace McClaren ?  (Read 1021 times)

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Who will replace McClaren ?
« on: March 08, 2016, 04:38:02 am »
McClaren is not a bad person, it's just a shame that the ineptitude of the management of Newcastle gets us to a place where the fans are almost lynching him before the clubs management will do anything about it.

What they do next is worrying in itself.

I hope they make a solid choice and appoint an experienced, proven, strong manager who will run the club top to bottom.

For me this has to be David Moyes however he is said to want 4 million a year which may well be out of our budget given we seem to like to spend around 1 million a year on the manager.

But having spent 82 million on players in the last 6 months maybe it makes sense to also invest in a manager who can manage them.

Other contenders appear to be:

Benitez: has done nothing recently.
Rodgers: is just a younger version of Steve McClaren,
Harry Redknapp: seriously ......
Nigel Pearson: well he would fit the budget and he saved Leicester last season. Slight negative being he has already served under the circus of Mike Ashley hence unlikely he'd do that again
Frank De Boer: aha, now you're talking, a sexy European manager who would probably be happy to work as a Head Coach and still allow Graham Carr and Lee Charnley to call the shots. But he'll probably be too expensive, what do you mean he has no Premier League experience
Reme Guarde and Tim Sherwood: nothing would surprise me.

It's going to be fascinating to watch this play out and see what the idiots who run our football club do next.        
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 04:40:15 am by trophy4toon »

Offline mrmalaki

• View Profile
Re: Who will replace McClaren ?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 01:44:17 pm »
Media are reporting that Rafa Benitez has been offered a 3 year contract - he has made certain demands regarding his control on transfers which they are willing to give in to, given his stature in the game.

If so I think this is a very positive move. This is a manager that managed to get the most out of some frankly average players, I mean a team that included Djimi Traore, John Arne Riise, Milan Baros, Djibril Cisse, Steve Finnan and Vladimir Smicer won the Champions League...

He was somewhat unfairly treated at Madrid and IF these rumours are true then it is definitely a step in the right direction.

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 08:57:31 pm »
I've never been a massive fan of Benitez but right now I'd take anyone.

We'll find out now if actually we do have a good team after all once McClaren is removed from the controls. My suspicion is the team will be fine under a new manager.

Offline mrmalaki

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 11:43:57 am »
Steve gone, Rafa in Newcastle to finalise the deal as I type (if media types are to be believed).