Author Topic: Sun 20th March - Newcastle 1 Sunderland 1  (Read 1388 times)

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Sun 20th March - Newcastle 1 Sunderland 1
« on: March 19, 2016, 08:00:26 pm »
This match has so many angles and so much riding on it.

Allardyce coming back to his old club facing Benitez and they clearly dislike each other. We've lost the last 6 matches against Sunderland which must be a record mustn't it ?

Sunderland come into this in pretty good form but I thought Benitez got some remarkable improvement out of our players at Leicester.

Team selection, I think he'll go for:

Elliot
Janmaat    Mbemba  Taylor  Colback
Sissoko       Anita       Shelvey       Townsend
                   Wijnaldum
                   Mitrovic

It's going to be a tough, bloody, nail biting battle, and that will just be in the dugouts.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 05:09:14 pm by trophy4toon »

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Sun 20th March - Newcastle v Sunderland
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 11:28:56 am »
Looking at the other teams fixtures this really is a must win game in the relegation battle.

Norwich have to play all the relegation candidates Newcastle, Sunderland and Crystal Palace so will have a key role to play here.

We've just left it a bit late to appoint a new manager.

Offline mrmalaki

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 03:10:36 pm »
I can't wait to win the Championship again, 2017 Champions all being well.

Offline mrmalaki

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 03:13:22 pm »
oooh equaliser! We're definitely staying up! Probably getting in Europe next year too, in Rafa We Trust! #ADayInTheLifeOfANewcastleFan

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Sun 20th March - Newcastle 1 Sunderland 1
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 05:27:50 pm »
I was really impressed with Benitez today.

His original team selection tried to address the issues we have seen all season. What to do with Perez, Wijnaldum and Sissoko. He also dropped Steve Taylor in favour of young Lascelles which was a bold move and Lascelles did well.

The Benitez substitutions were all sensible and positive too. To be honest I thought Anita looked better at right back than Janmaat.

Benitez has already shown he's not afraid of the big ego's in this team as he shoved Sissoko to left back for the last 30 minutes.

He also moved Wijnaldum around in more different positions over 90 minutes than McClaren had all season. You can see Benitez is in a desperate race against time to see how he can shape Newcastle's misfit misshaped squad into an effective team that can both defend and score goals.

Thought we looked much more secure at the back todau despite not having McClaren's 2 holding midfield players sitting there doing nothing.   

Sunderland had done their homework though and really played well to a well thought out game plan.

A defeat would have been disastrous but the draw which I thought was a fair result buys Benitez a bit more time to work out the puzzle of team selection and tactics with this group of misfits.     

Newcastle United (4-4-1-1): Elliot 8; Janmaat 6 (Anita 72mins, 6), Mbemba 5.5, Lascelles 5.5, Colback 5 (De Jong 62, 5.5); Townsend 5 (Cisse 76, 5.5), Shelvey 6, Wijnaldum 6, Sissoko 5.5; Perez 5; Mitrovic 6.5.
Unused subs: Darlow, Taylor, Saivet, Riviere.
Booked: Colback, Janmaat, Shelvey, Mitrovic.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3501331/Newcastle-United-1-1-Sunderland-Aleksandar-Mitrovic-rescues-Rafa-Benitez-s-late-equaliser-Jermain-Defoe-opener.html#ixzz43SrrI5ia
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook