Author Topic: Sat 9th April - Southampton 3 Newcastle 1  (Read 1515 times)

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Sat 9th April - Southampton 3 Newcastle 1
« on: April 09, 2016, 02:58:03 pm »
No massive panic yet. A win today with Norwich losing at Palace and we are 3 points behind with a game in hand.

But Rafa is right, we need to start winning games, nothing else matters.

Team selection better today though Perez and Mitrovic have not shown any great understanding together.

Not sure Southampton have much to play for, 6th place and a Europa league place, hmmmm     
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 08:05:47 pm by trophy4toon »

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Sat 9th April - Southampton v Newcastle
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 04:01:20 pm »
The problem with Mike Ashley is he just employs his cronies to run things.

The problem with Lee Charnley is he clearly has no clue.

The problem with Graham Carr is that he has spent an eye watering 82 million in the last 6 months on players who are not fit for purpose.

Hands up whose decision it was not to sign any defenders in the January transfer window ?

Lets hope they are both sacked sometime soon, nothing could be more deserved.

Meanwhile on the pitch, the shambles continues. Did we not realise that if the injury prone Rob Elliot got injured we effectively had no goalkeeper. Or did someone decide Darlow was Premier League quality. This is going to destroy Darlow's career which is quite sad.

Half time then 2-0 down.

We need a miracle in the second half, but then this was never a match on our list of points needed. So apart from the depressing shambles, does it really matter ?   

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Sat 9th April - Southampton v Newcastle
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 04:05:22 pm »
Benitez makes one change at half time, he's clearly desperate.

Having dropped Lascelles for Taylor he's now swapping Taylor for Lascelles.

He's clearly realising none of them can defend.

Anita now at right back which is more sensible for him. Sissoko at left back, good grief ...... 

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Sat 9th April - Southampton 3 Newcastle 1
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 08:12:31 pm »
Ok, if we accept we can't win away. 

We have four home matches left Swansea, Man City, Crystal Palace and Tottenham. We need to win all four then win an away match, surely that must be the Villa one ?
The other game is away to Liverpool.
Well we need to win five of our last 6 matches to get to 40 points, that would be league champions form. From where we are now that looks a tough ask.
Ironically we could be relegated at Aston Villa again. Though given that is the second last match of the season, we might have already gone by then. 
Years of mismanagement finally comes home to roost. You have to admit, we thoroughly deserve to get relegated.

Newcastle United (4-4-2): Darlow 4; Janmaat 4 (De Jong 40, 6), Taylor 4 (Lascelles 46, 6), Mbemba 5, Anita 5; Townsend 5.5, Shelvey (c) 5, Wijnaldum 5, Sissoko 6; Perez 6 (Cisse 70), Mitrovic 5
Substitutes not used: Woodman (GK); Dummett, Obertan, Tiote

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3531561/Southampton-3-1-Newcastle-Goals-Shane-Long-Graziano-Pelle-Victor-Wanyama-edge-Rafa-Benitez-s-closer-drop.html#ixzz45MF5GEkg
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 08:40:12 pm »
Janmaat and Taylor both injured today.

Looks like Mbemba and Lascelles could be our only two fit defenders for the next match. Though Dummett was on the bench today

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 09:02:52 pm »
I must admit I haven't been following for weeks. I went to the Sunderland match out of curiosity with Benitez having just arrived but I've lost all interest in the club at the moment.

The reality of the situation is that the three pillars that hold the club up have been crumbling for some time. The central pillar, Lee Charnley, was long exposed as unfit to run a football club and his installment of the pillars to his left and right (McClaren and Carr) have resulted in the club being built upon poor foundations. The fact that players are brought into this club by Lee Charnley based upon recommendations from Carr without the consultation of the manager as to which players he requires to play the formation/tactics that he wants to deploy is outright staggering. But I don't really blame Carr as his job is just to identify suitable players in ALL positions. It's Charnley who selects who we are signing based upon cost and potential sell on value.

I don't want to give McClaren any excuse for his shoddy Pardew like management and 'yes man' attitude but you could take your pick of great managers: Ferguson, Mourinho, Guardiola, Sir Bobby Robson if you like. Not one of them would have been able to work with the squad provided by Lee Charnley. A squad full of midfielders, lacking wingers, full backs and strikers. Benitez is proving that now as he scratches his head looking at the same puzzle that all of us here on Trophy4Toon were baffled with at the start of the season; what is Newcastle United's best starting eleven? Answer: Nobody has a fucking clue.

You can run down the squad and honestly most of the players just aren't good enough or simply don't have a defined starting position. I'll admit I like Mitrovic and Perez as they both have potential but can you pick a stand out defender or midfielder? Janmaat wants to move to a bigger club for the sake of his career. Who would have him? He's absolutely shit at defending and can't cross the ball so isn't much good at that end of the pitch either!

Awful.