Author Topic: Sat 7th May - Aston Villa 0 Newcastle 0  (Read 1175 times)

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Sat 7th May - Aston Villa 0 Newcastle 0
« on: May 08, 2016, 03:39:39 pm »

The way we lined up today I was thinking we were playing Real Madrid. Back 4 sitting tight and deep, Colback and Tiote camped in front of them. Wijnaldum and Townsend sitting tight and deep covering our full backs. Cisse alone up front hoping to pick up some scaps which might come his way.

The first half then consisted of hapless Villa passing the ball across the pitch over and over again until they got bored and lumped the ball forward onto the heads of the towering Lascelles and Mbemba. Towering in so far as they were both competing to mark the diminutive Scott Sinclair playing up on his own for Villa.

Phew, we got to half time managing to snuff out the Villa and limiting them to no shots at goal, though I'm told that's normal at Villa this season. We in turn had managed one shot at goal which was a scuffed shot by Cisse straight into the ground then bouncing up into the arms of the bored Bunn in goal for Villa.

Five minutes into the second half Benitez seemed to come to the conclusion that if we are ever going to score here then he better get Cisse off as he basically seemed to get in the way of what precious little forward movement we embarked upon.

On trotted Mitrovic who must be as mystified as we are why Cisse gets preferred to him to start matches.

We then got treated to three of the easiest chances you are ever likely to get without really needing to apply that much pressure.

Colback blazed over, Mitrovic lobbed over and then headed a great chance wide.

That was pretty much it then. Despite desperately needing to score we held back, passed sideways, put in the odd terrible cross, let Villa play around a lot and get no where.

Then the final whistle went, news came through Sunderland had beaten Chelsea. That was it.

A thoroughly dispiriting performance.

Why didn't we just attack, attack attack from the off. This Villa side had lost eleven games in a row before this match. Yes that's right, ELEVEN MATCHES LOST IN A ROW. We decided to defend deep against them and protect our goal.

Utterly pathetic, we really do deserve to go down.           
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 03:59:27 pm by trophy4toon »

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Sat 7th May - Aston Villa 0 Newcastle 0
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 04:14:45 pm »
A look at the Villa.

It was probably one of the weirdest matches I have been to in my life which may have contributed to Newcastle's similarly bizarre performance.

The Villa fans had accumulated before the game and held a protest march around the ground. Once in the ground they then were busy preparing for their first half beach ball protest.

The Villa team sheet was read out to complete silence except when the Lescott, Richards and Acuna names appeared on the screen, they were loudly boo'd by everyone in the stadium.

The match started and the Villa fans showed little interest in proceedings on the pitch. They were playing with the hundred or so beach balls bouncing on their heads. Then the signal came and all the beach balls were bounced onto the pitch. The match had to be stopped as the stewards picked them all up.

The match was incredibly boring which did not help and the fans spent the rest of the half taunting the Newcastle fans with the usual "you're just a small town in Scotland" and "you're going down with the Villa" mixed with "we're Villa till we die" and the various traditional Villa songs.

The second half continued in the same way including the second half beach ball protest which was a replica of the first.

At the final whistle the Villa players sloped off and by the end there was Dummet, Lascelles and I think it was Anita standing on the pitch discussing what looked like demoralised affairs of state and what playing in the Championship was going to be like.

The Villa fans stayed behind even though their players had gone and they had their own end of season event of lots more singing, before eventually going out.

Hospitality was pretty bizarre, I asked for a chocolate bar with my coffee and was told they only sell pie's. At half time they had run out of coffee.

It's a toss up but I think Villa are in a much worse state than we are. Unless they get a new owner over the summer then I could see them going down another league, such was the mood of the place.             

Offline mrmalaki

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 04:22:11 pm »
In a league table of the bottom, if my maths is right:

Name g w d l gf ga pts
Safc 6 2 2 2 10 11 8
Nufc 6 1 3 2 10 10 6
Nfc 6 3 0 3 10 14 9
Avfc 6 2 3 1 9 5 9

That tells me, firstly that we deserve to go down. Secondly that although we can say our fate is in the hands of Everton and Watford (who each play Norwich and Sunderland) it was, over the season, entirely in our own hands. We could be 12 points better off (with those around us being equally worse off). If that were the case we'd be safe.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 04:25:06 pm by mrmalaki »

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 04:28:23 pm »
It's easy to be critical of the players but here's my thought on how they did yesterday.

The whole defence stood out yesterday, Anita is a better full back than Janmaat, Darlow and Lascelles look really good, who would have thought that before Benitez arrived.

Midfield is where things start to go wrong. Tiote is great sitting in front of the defence. But then were do you play Colbeck. He's not as good at holding as Tiote but thats all he can do, he can't pass or shoot and missed one of our best chances.

Townsend is a class player and just needs more support.

Wijnaldum for me is not a Premier League standard player. He may do well in the Dutch league but he has no appetite for the physically of the Premier League. Aston Villa bossed him out the game.

Sissoko has many individual attributes but what do you do with the whole. He is moody, inconsistent and does not really fit into any position. He drifted in and out yesterday.

Cisse is just utterly crap and needs to be shipped out as soon as possible, he's the new Shola Ameobi, it seems Newcastle always have to have one of these players up front to stop our own attacks.

I'm a big fan of Mitrovic and really felt for him when he missed two easy chances both of which he made for himself. When chances come so few and far between in this team the pressure to put them away is enormous.

Perez came on with I think around 15 minutes to go, playing wide left without a left foot is a tough call he is not up to. His future is beginning to look uncertain.

Benitez has done well to organise and drill our defence, it's a tragedy we can't play the Norwich match again.

But Benitez for me got the tactics completely wrong yesterday, in fact I was watching that thinking he does not have any tactics. He plays one way and that's it. To succeed that way and play on the break we need fast lethal midfielders and forwards. Our players don't fit his tactics and I don't think he can fit his tactics to suit our players.

Benitez has a choice to make now, does he stay and rebuild the whole club from the bottom, Ashley seems to be prepared to let him do that. Or does he take the Everton job which is bound to come his way.

Given his family home is in Liverpool, I think you'll see Benitez managing Everton next season. To be honest after todays performance from him and the team, I'm not too bothered if he does leave.

It all depends then on who our flipping useless owner turns to next ......