Author Topic: Squad selection - 26 down to 23  (Read 2044 times)

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Squad selection - 26 down to 23
« on: May 22, 2016, 12:04:16 pm »
I'm really hoping Townsend gets in the squad.

For me I'd be leaving out Delph, Drinkwater and Sterling

Goalkeepers: Fraser Forster, Joe Hart, Tom Heaton

Defenders: Ryan Bertrand, Gary Cahill, Nathaniel Clyne, Danny Rose, Chris Smalling, John Stones, Kyle Walker

Midfielders: Dele Alli, Ross Barkley, Fabian Delph, Eric Dier, Danny Drinkwater, Jordan Henderson, Adam Lallana, James Milner, Raheem Sterling, Andros Townsend, Jack Wilshere

Forwards: Harry Kane, Marcus Rashford, Wayne Rooney, Daniel Sturridge, Jamie Vardy

Read more at http://www.thefa.com/news/england/2016/may/england-squad-announcement#wK2HywtTWAJ39xzy.99

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Squad selection - 26 down to 23
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 12:06:45 pm »
That would of course be keeping in Rashford and Townsend

Offline mrmalaki

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 05:10:23 pm »
Any news on rashford's injury?

If he's out then Delph and either Drinkwater, Henderson or Wilshere depending on fitness of the latter two

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 07:07:17 pm »
Hodgson has until 31st May to name his final 23, that's going to be after the Australia game next Friday.

So if Rashford is to get in he needs to be fit and play in that match. I still think we need as many striker options as we can, scoring goals will be what counts.

Difficult to tell after the Turkey match with Hodgson only making two substitutions.

Wilshere looked off the pace to me, how serious was his injury, I'm dubious he is ready for the Euro's.

Sterling on the other hand looked better than I expected.

Henderson came on for Sterling and made no impression at all.

Drinkwater came on for Wilshere and actually looked ok.

No sign of Townsend, maybe Hodgson has already decided.

After Turkey the three I would leave out are Delph, Henderson and Wilshere   

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 08:04:26 am »
Thought Townsend did well when he came on against Australia but to be fair Sterling did well also.

Three have to come out of the squad and Rashford has just pretty much bought his place wit a goal and good performance.

Delph has already been released and Drinkwater had a poor game against Australia, he's probably had it.

So just one more to drop out.

It's between Sturridge, Henderson, Wilshere and our man Townsend.

That's a tough call.
I just feel if he's going to play Rooney in midfield, it might just be Henderson that gets left behind, we do have a lot of central midfielders in that squad. 

Offline mrmalaki

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 09:06:04 pm »
It looks like Sturridge is struggling for fitness - so I'd expect it to be Sturridge, Delph & Drinkwater.

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 11:08:09 am »
I would take Sturridge even if he is not currently fit, he's pretty close to it.

We need goals and strikers more than we need Jordan Henderson, what is he going to do to win us the Euro's ?

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2016, 11:11:48 am »
Rumours that Ross Barkley might be left out, personally I don't think Hodgson is a massive fan of his and he has not finished the season well.

Offline mrmalaki

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2016, 07:28:10 pm »
Well it's done and it's Delph, Drinkwater and Townsend that miss out.

In some ways I'm surprised that Andros was dropped, Hodgson seemed to like him and he produces moments of absolute magic (some of which we were lucky enough to see towards the end of the season). But on the other hand until the back end of the season he hadn't played a lot. There are players that are technically better than him.

However looking at the squad I'm struggling to see where the width is coming from further up the pitch. Are we expecting Walker/Rose/Bertrand/Clyne to get forward constantly? Sterling is a wide player and Rashford/Sturridge/Vardy have played wide but it's not their best position by a long way.

I guess it's a case of keep it compact and see what happens... Worries me a little though going in to a game against Portugal where Nani and Ronaldo will keep our fullbacks occupied if no one is doing the same to their full backs then it's going to be doubling up and we'll be easily beaten.

Offline mrmalaki

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2016, 07:33:37 pm »
Had a look at seeing what squad could be put together by players that missed out (through Hodgson choice or by injury) and I think it'd be an interesting game between the two squads:

Jack Butland, Ben Foster, Rob Green
Callum Chambers, Scott Dann, Kieran Gibbs, Phil Jagielka, Phil Jones, Luke Shaw, Ryan Shawcross, Kieran Trippier
Michael Carrick, Fabian Delph, Danny Drinkwater, Mark Noble, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Andros Townsend, Theo Walcott
Saido Berahino, Danny Welbeck, Danny Ings, Andy Carroll, Charlie Austin

(I've bolded my starting XI in a 4-5-1 formation)

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2016, 03:08:02 pm »
That was my view exactly Mrmalaki, Hodgson is relying totally on Sterling to provide the width.

That's why I thought Townsend should go.

We have so many central midfield players, somewhat like the Newcastle model and we all know what happened there.