Author Topic: Any knowledge/opinions on our signings of Summer 2016?  (Read 2360 times)

Offline Legzy

• View Profile
Any knowledge/opinions on our signings of Summer 2016?
« on: July 10, 2016, 05:50:57 pm »
I wasn't expecting a keeper, as it feels like we're already flush with 3 good ones. I imagine Krull (or maybe Elliot/Darlow don't want to go back to warming the bench) must be looking to move on?
I understand the winger from Bournmouth is decent, would have been magic to have signed him & kept Townsend!
Full back from Athletico, well he must be pretty decent (I have faith he'll pull off a couple of miracle  ;))

& more coming in...!

Let's see your thoughts?

Offline mrmalaki

• View Profile
Re: Any knowledge/opinions on our signings of Summer 2016?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 07:10:31 pm »
Benitez explained that Sels came in as third choice, which has important as Krul isn't fully fit and Elliot is still out injured. However reports coming in that Everton, West Ham and Palace have all been in touch concerning Krul's availability.

Jesus Gamez seems a very good signing, although interesting to note that his agent is also Rafa's agent so that may have helped pushed the deal through. Expect Janmaat to move (Watford keen) before August.

Matt Ritchie is a very good choice to replace Townsend, excited to see an actual wide player with a good delivery. Haven't had one since Nobby was here. He should link up well with Mitrovic if we can keep him.

Dwight Gayle is a player I like, has goals in him, I wouldn't expect him to start many games but come in for half hour to take on the tired defenders (or possibly go 442 and be the runner alongside Mitrovic).

3 good picks in my opinion (and Sels who I'm unfamiliar with) Grant Hanley (Blackburn) appears to be next on the radar for Rafa, and Isaac Harden (Arsenal) Both are versatile and strong.

Krul, Tiote, Wijnaldum, Sissoko, Anita and Perez all been mentioned in the rumour mill as transfers out. If so we still need more bodies in. I'm hoping Adam Armstrong gets a chance in the first team this season.

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 06:22:33 pm »
Not really got an opinion yet. I'm more intrigued as to how the jigsaw all fits together on the pitch. Do we now have a balanced squad of players that can be deployed in a particular formation every week? A first choice eleven that everyone agrees should be on the park when fit? This for me has been the biggest issue at the club for several seasons and it is exactly what Benitez has needed to address over the summer.

Are we playing 4-4-2, 4-3-3, 4-5-1, 4-2-3-1? For me it's critical that within a few games of the season we know what we are playing and who plays in which position. Right now I don't have any idea what we are playing in midfield or upfront. We still have a wealth of bodies in these areas of the pitch with players that play in 'undefined' positions that don't seem to suit any particular formation.

I still think there is a lot of work to be done on the squad and a lot of bodies needing shipped out.

To go:
Moussa Sissoko - He wants to go and once the money is on the table cash in.
Tim Krul - I think we can attract a big enough offer to let him go. I was impressed with Elliot and Darlow last year plus we've drafted in a replacement.
Yoan Gouffran - In the last year of his contract, should try to offload him back to France.
Siem De Jong - Never fit and needs to be offloaded asap for me.
Daryl Janmaat - Talked about leaving and if he wants to go then would welcome offloading him before the start of the season so we can get in another body.
Emmanuel Riviere - Absolutely shit and needs to be put out the door.
Cheick Tiote - Another one that can go if he wants.
Lubo Satka - Young player that showed last year on loan that he's not likely to make it. Cut him loose.
Jamie Sterry - As above unless Rafa sees something in him.
Sammy Ameobi - Has had plenty of chances and shown that he doesn't have the consistency. Let him go.
Gael Bigirimana - Wasn't getting in the squad at Coventry last term so simply won't cut it here.
Remy Cabella - Nobody is sure if Marseille have had to buy him or not. Maybe he's gone already, maybe he's still here. He needs to be going.
Harus Vuckic - Once a promising player, blighted by injuries and a lack of pace. No use to us so let him leave.

I make that half a squad full of players that aren't of any great use to us. Janmaat and Tiote could no doubt contribute but the rest are picking up wages at our expense. Time to ship them out and reshuffle the pack.

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 06:33:16 am »
That's quite a rag bag of players you list out there Craig.

Benitez has a lot of work to do to make up for the years of mismanagement of the squad.

Should make to an interesting pre season

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 11:43:03 am »
Potentially a great bit of business getting rid of Janmaat for a staggering 7.5M  and bringing DeAndre Yedlin for around 5M. For me Janmaat was massively overrated. He couldn't cross the road, let alone a football into the box and defensively he cost us a number of goals last season. Getting rid was a great bit of business. If Yedlin is halfway competent at defending we'll have banked 2.5M and got a huge earner off the wage bill whilst making an upgrade.

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 11:16:13 am »
Interesting also that we have quietly put Krul on a 12 month contract extension to 2018 and put him out on loan to Ajax.

That's a pretty smart thing to do to get him off the wage bill and see how our goalkeeper options develop over the Championship season.

Mind Sels is not covering himself in glory so far.   

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2016, 10:48:38 am »
Latest three potential signings:
Daryl Murphy signed on two year contract for 3.5 million
at 33 years of age seems a sensible short term deal to help get us out of the Championship

Aachraf Lazaar - medical today - 3 million from Palermo
new left back, I guess the problem with Dummett is he is terrible with the ball

Christian Atsu
A winger, one of Chelsea's multitude of perennial loanees. I've given up on Aarons he's never fit, leaving us with Gouffran playing wide left. Or Perez however he's not looking good in the Championship.

Bennitez post match interview yesterday he stressed he wanted competition for places. Presumably this will complete our signings till the next window.     

Offline Legzy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2016, 08:50:15 pm »
I can feel the excitement building from Craig, as rumours grow about Colback maybe heading for Derby ;) ;D

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2016, 10:33:17 pm »
I think Craig is controlling the transfer policy now.

What are we doing with Gouffran ?

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2016, 12:21:44 pm »
Gouffran unfortunately won't be departing the club. He's in what I call the 'overpaid' bracket where a player is on such an excessive weekly wage that he has no desire to move to another club because he can neither a. Find a better club to take him or b. Find a club offering him similar money. The way that the Premier League money has destroyed the football transfer market and frozen European clubs out of buying top players for the last five years has also created this new type of player who is now earning so much money that you can't get rid of him as there is nowhere for him to go.

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2016, 09:53:10 pm »
We could ask Sissoko (30 million) and wijnaldum (23 million) what they think of the transfer market.
Genius business there from Rafa.

Offline Legzy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2016, 12:38:57 am »
You could make a case for giving credit to Ashley's long term 'buy them cheap.....' policy.
28m profit on Sissoko alone!
We appear to have strengthened the squad this summer & more than balanced the books.
Win win.

p.s. To be clear, I'm not making that case. I do feel though, something has changed positively (regarding NUFC & Ashley) in the last 15 months, not just since Rafa came, which I think has channeled the change far more effectively than Grandad SM was obviously capable of.

Offline Legzy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2016, 05:27:28 pm »
Just saw this:

Moussa Sissoko:
15/16: 37 Apps, 1 Goal, 7 Assists
14/15: 34 Apps, 4 Goals, 2 Assists
13/14: 35 Apps, 3 Goals, 6 Assists
30 million well worth it.

;D

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2016, 10:00:38 pm »
hmmm, if my maths is right, that's pretty much 4 million a goal  :o :o

Offline CraigDoyle

• View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2016, 12:53:09 pm »
Spurs also have the problem of figuring out exactly which position Sissoko plays in. He's not a central midfielder, he's poor on the wing because he can't cross, he doesn't score enough to play as a second striker. Answers on a postcard please.