Author Topic: The League Table  (Read 20560 times)

Offline DuraKaN

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: The League Table
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2009, 10:31:26 pm »
Midweek attempts to depose him with legislation may have failed, but trophy4toon's poor predicting did the job at the weekend as he slips into 3rd, gleaning just one point from the Chelsea game. Toonaldofan leapfrogs him into second, but our new leader is old bloke - one of three predictors to score the maximum 5 points this week, along with hooperman and mrmalaki, who suddenly finds himself within striking distance of the championship - just 4 points separate him from first place.

In other news, former league leader Oba fan continues his dismal run of form (a Newcastle win? really?), dropping below me into 6th. Never mind, maybe the Shearer effect will take hold next weekend...

Offline DuraKaN

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Round 36
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2009, 09:02:25 pm »
ChrisL, Matthew Ingram and Trophy4toon all scored the maximum points from this week's game (if only the same could be said of Newcastle), which means that trophy4toon now leads once again by a clear 2 points, after old bloke, predicting a Newcastle win, failed to score any. Meanwhile, Toonaldofan is hanging on in 3rd place, 3 points off the top.

Matthew Ingram's recent form means he has finally managed to dislodge himself from 11th place (effectively the bottom of the league), moving up into 8th, while absentee hooperman fills the gap. Of course, with 30 points still to play for, anyone in the top 11 could win.

Offline DuraKaN

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Round 37
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2009, 06:44:38 pm »
Trophy4toon draws a blank, but old bloke comes away with just one point, which means he is still in second place with 59 points to trophy4toon's 60. Also in second place is Toonaldofan, who benefits from a late change of heart.

For the second time in two predictions, hooperman secures the maximum five points, even guessing the scorer of the goal. Incredibly, this means that just 2 points separate 5th from 11th place, and 10 points separate 1st from 11th place, with 25 still to play for.

Roll on Portsmouth.

Offline DuraKaN

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Round 38
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2009, 10:13:46 pm »
Congratulations to hooperman, who wins the Predictor of the Month award for April, despite predicting just 3 of the 4 games. Two exact predictions helped him to achieve his total of 11 points.

Meanwhile, most people predicted that Newcastle would beat Portsmouth, a few predicted we would lose, but only one person thought we would draw... myself. My reward is 5th place. At the top, trophy4toon once again holds the lead via the contentious 'number of predictions' rule, as a point for old bloke moves him level, with one less game predicted. Toonaldofan remains one point behind them in 3rd place.

Offline DuraKaN

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Round 39
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2009, 01:21:32 am »
Easy points this week, as all but a few people take 3 points from this week's match. Congratulations to Oba fan for correctly predicting that Liverpool would only score 3 and gaining 5 points as a reward, which moves him up into 6th, level on points with 4th.

There's no change at the top, as the three main title contenders all scored the same. With just 3 matches left in the season, there's still everything to play for.

Edit: Forgot the league table. Doh!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 01:24:10 am by DuraKaN »

Offline DuraKaN

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Round 40
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2009, 12:39:07 am »
And with two games left, trophy4toon reaffirms his lead at the top, gaining a point on old bloke in second place. Meanwhile, in a game that both teams had to win, with two of the worst defences in the Premier League on display, Toonaldofan foolishly predicted 0-0, as did somebody else whose name escapes me. As a result, he is now effectively five points away from the top of the league, with trophy4toon looking unlikely to surrender his advantage on the number of predictions made. Still, at least he hangs onto third and it didn't cost him four places.

I would like to analyse further, but I'm too delirious.

With just ten points left to play for, it is now impossible for Matthew Ingram, hooperman or Big Phil to win the title. Sorry guys.

Offline Legzy

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2009, 01:24:21 pm »
What seems bizarre to me, is that Slam Dunc must have predicted a Toon win in almost every match... yet he's still a point ahead of me ???
Oh the shame!!! :-[

Offline trophy4toon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2009, 10:22:00 pm »
Well the last two matches could both go either way, so like the relegation battle, the predicters title is all to play for.

It would be pretty unfair if I didn't win it though as I've been top for most of the season haven't I  :)  :)

Offline DuraKaN

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2009, 12:51:01 am »
First of all, congratulations to Big Phil for scoring the maximum 5 points this week.

Now, on to the important stuff. No change in the top 3, as they all score one point. This means that trophy4toon leads by 1 point going into the final game, with old bloke hot on his heels. Toonaldofan is also in with an outside chance, but he can only win if trophy4toon fails to score and old bloke does not score more than two. Nobody else can possibly win. Personally, I'm rooting for Toonaldofan, because if Trophy4toon wins after being branded 'Moron of the Year' last season, I will never hear the last of it...

Good luck!

Offline Toonaldofan

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2009, 06:58:49 pm »
Personally, I'm rooting for Toonaldofan
Good luck!

Thanks but the only problem being that i have to predict a newcastle win or a 2-2 for me to win after trophy4toons 1-0 prediction

Only i dont have much hope in either scenario

Offline DuraKaN

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2009, 06:35:56 pm »
And so, it's all over, in more ways than one. But I'm no genius on the football side of things, so I'll be reporting strictly on the Predictions League.

In a double victory, May's Predictor of the Month and also the Prediction League Champion is... dun dun dun... trophy4toon with 12 points from 4 games this month, and an impressive 72 from 42 overall. Congratulations to him for really turning it around after last season's humiliation.

I'm sure it will bring little comfort to his life, but trophy4toon also predicted today's result exactly, taking 5 points, as did I. My 5 points means that, unfortunately for Toonaldofan, I move up to finish in 3rd, thanks to my one extra prediction. Old bloke finished in second place, 5 points off the top, while fifth place goes to Oba fan. As for the rest... well, you can read. I'll do a bigger update later, like I did last year, if I manage to avoid hanging myself.

Offline The Too Young To Know Any Better One

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2009, 01:47:33 pm »
Thanks for running the comp so well Durakan. My comiserations regarding the Toon's relegation but unless they implode totally they should be back soon. Not sure Big Al is the man for the job though. Get someone with experience in, perhaps Curbishley of those currently out of work.

My final word before I spend my retirement pay off from Mr Abramovich is that after a poor start I believe I ended with the best average points per prediction. Glory indeed but the best result of all was beating Hooperman, who know doubt you will bump into next season.

I duly pass on the baton of predictions to my successor Carlo. Adieu.